CART, Formula 1...will 'Speed Channel' be decent?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael St. Clair, Feb 11, 2002.

1. Michael St. Clair

Throughout the last 6 months or so some of us have been terrified at FOX's statements about what they want to do with 'SpeedVision' after aquiring a controlling interest. There has been open talk by FOX reps about an all-NASCAR channel, and that talk was further tempered eventually to having the channel be all-NASCAR from 3pm to 12pm daily. Not races, mind you. Just programming about NASCAR.
    Meanwhile, ABC was going after F1, and CART had gone homeless.
    Well, things are looking up, at least for this year. 12 CART races will air live on Speed Channel (with the remainder airing live on CBS and FOX), and it looks like all 17 F1 races should air as well (and is likely to be mandated as shown live by the contract).
    And there is still WRC coverage, bikes, and other good stuff...much of which falls within the 3pm to 12pm block that was once planned for all-NASCAR programming.
    Here is hoping that Speed Channel makes money on racing coverage and never becomes the NASCAR News Network.
    Here is a rough schedule:
    http://www.motorsportstv.com/speedvi...e_02042002.htm

2. Scott Barnhart

Scott Barnhart Stunt Coordinator

My big question/fear is in relation to motorcycle road-racing. Last year, Speedvision had same-day coverage of every round of GP250/500, World Superbike (both races!), and almost every round of AMA Superbike (some other network had the Daytona 200 rights). Then they also showed on a delayed basis WSC Supersport, AMA Supersport, Formula Extreme, GP125, etc. Although they cut sections of the race to add in commercials and fit the time slot, Speedvision was great in that an American viewer could get both breadth and depth in coverage of motorcycle racing.

I really hope the Speed Channel will continue this level of coverage. They have made some vague promises to keep things like "Two Wheel Tuesday" and some Sunday race coverage, but so far I haven't seen anything definitive where they lay out which racing series they will cover, and how delayed it will be.

Somehow I am not hopeful - every other network that Fox has bought has immediately gone downhill in quality in my experience.

3. Jamie E

Jamie E Stunt Coordinator

4. Michael St. Clair

Scott,

I'll admit I'm not a bike guy. The schedule does look a bit sparse for bikes. I assumed that boats and aviation took the brunt of the hit.

I thought motorcycle racing was growing in popularity in the states?

5. derek

derek Second Unit

Well...even as a NASCAR fan I hope the Speed Channel doesn't become too NASCAR oriented. While I appreciate the expanded coverage for NASCAR, all racing fans should have their fix! What bothers me is that my cable provider (COX) multiplexes a single channel showing OLN, Disneycartoon, and Speedvision (5pm-12am) so I don't get 24hrs of Speed Channel coverage. [​IMG]

6. Jamie E

Jamie E Stunt Coordinator