Carsick Dog

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Philip_T, Oct 29, 2004.

1. Philip_T

Philip_T Supporting Actor

Im planning a weekend up in the mountains with the wife and the dog. Problem is, the dog gets carsick when we take him for a car ride. Is there anything you guys know of to help dogs from getting motion sickness?

2. Julian Reville

Julian Reville Screenwriter

Motion sickness in a car usually derives from not being in control of the motion of the vehicle, so the solution is to
    let him drive.

[​IMG]

Seriously, puppies usually grow out of this, if you take them for enough rides when they are young. Older dogs can be given Meclizine:

Meclizine HCl Tablets 12.5 mg, 25 mg (plain & chewable), 50 mg; Antivert® (Pfizer US) (Rx), Antrizine® (Major) (Rx); Antivert/25® (Pfizer US) (Rx), Dramamine Less Drowsy Formula® (Pharmacia & Upjohn), (OTC); Bonine® (Pfizer Consumer) (OTC); Antivert/50® (Pfizer US) (Rx); generic; (Rx & OTC).

You MUST consult with your veterinarian about this before trying!!!!!!!!!

3. Philip_T

Philip_T Supporting Actor

LOL. Reminds of that commercial with the guy riding shotgun and his dog is driving the truck who procedes to chase a bunch of ducks in the pond. "you're not even listening to a word Im saying, are you?" Love that commercial.

I will probably check with the vet later this afternoon. I was just wondering if anyone knew of any home remedies or tricks to try. Thanks for the list Julian! I was wondering if Bonine or Dramamine would work. Ill call our vet before anything though.