What's new

CARS (1 Viewer)

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I have a question about this movie on BD.

With my setup, when viewing a scene that is outdoors. There seems to be a lot of "haze" to the landscape in the distance. Is this intentional? The close ups, and night scenes look great. Nice and sharp. But the bright, daylight scenes all seem to have a haze to the distant landscapes.

Is this my setup or is the haze put in to make the landscapes look more realistic?

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson

It looked that way for me, too. I think it was intentional because during the day there would be haze etc in the distance. If things in the foreground were hazy then I would worry.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Knowing the Pixar team's attention to these types of details (think the "halo" around Nemo and Marlin in Finding Nemo which represented the protective shield that exists around clownfish), it's safe to assume that haze in the distance is intentional.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
intentional.

why would your system produce haze only in specific sections of a film.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I think I may have sold our pizza man a Blu-ray player lol.

We decided to order a pizza and when it got here I was sampling some of Cars, when the driver saw the quality of the image he said "Shit, that's clear! What is it, HD?" I told him it was and it was BD and he said "I've gotta get one of those.". :laugh:

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

Hopefully, that's not *all* he expects from BD (or we might get lots of average folks clamoring for "clear" and sharp for every single title :frowning: ).

_Man_

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I'm a bit baffled by that statement myself, isn't clear and sharp what we want? :confused:

Obviously not all BD's will look as awesome as Cars but that doesn't mean the studios can't strive for greatness with their titles.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Yes but a movie is going to have grain when it's shot on film. You don't want to remove all the grain from a movie or it doesn't look like film anymore (and it removes detail at the same time). Take a look at the Patton or Gangs Of New York thread for examples of them going too far with removing grain.

No one is saying that a Blu-Ray release should look like Grindhouse- they're saying that film has grain and it should be there on Blu-Ray.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Blu-ray isn't about "sharp" or "clear" so much as it should be about "transparent to the source".

If that source is sharp and clear, then so should be the BD.

If that source is soft focus or grainy (i.e. Aliens), then so should be the BD.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Ahh, gotcha, now that you guys have clearified I completely agree. :emoji_thumbsup:

Just as we must preserve a films OAR so too we must preserve it's overall source appearance as well.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.

perfect and exactly right..

you should run over to the pattom thread and the gangs thread and add that to the discussion. oh and the Bond to blu thread too while you're at it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks