What's new

Cars and Ratatouille Blu-rays Amazon deal (1 Viewer)

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
That's a nice little deal, especially with the 10% discount on top. I'll probably get shafted by Customs, but it's worth a go for a couple of top-notch titles like these. Cheers Todd.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Geoff,

When ordering in the US, I make sure I "create" packages having values < $50. Sometimes it means to pay a little bit more for shipping, but avoiding VAT and Customs (and the "administrative costs" of the shipper) makes up for that.

I'm not really sure where the free boundary lies ($50 does the trick, it seems), but this package certainly applies!

Cees

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
The UK Customs limit is £18 ($36), Cees. What I've paid for certainly comes in under that, but Amazon put the full amount of each item on the declaration. So instead of saying I paid $34 for the discs they'll put the full amount (e.g. $23.95 each), which is over the limit and Customs may well clobber me for another £12. Still, sometimes they get through unscathed, sometimes not. Fingers crossed...

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Geoff,

Unfortunately, if they hit, it's hard. VAT is also charged over shipping costs, and the shipper (who actually handles customs formalities - they're charged big fines if they are considered too "lazy" on this matter), gets awards by being allowed to add administrative "costs".

And you have to pay at the door, or else the package won't be handed over.

Well, more satisfaction if you manage to avoid it (or you're just lucky in the lotterie surrounding parcels close to the limit :) ).

Cees

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks