What's new

3D CARS - A Personal Re-appraisal (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I liked CARS well enough when I first saw it (not in a theater - I bought the Blu-ray), thought it was cute and clever, but not top-drawer Pixar. I must admit I never thought I could enjoy the usually insufferable Larry the Cable Guy, but I thought he did well with his character here, and the other voices were excellent. But the movie simply didn't carry me away as had the previous Pixar films.

Watching the 3-D edition, I was stunned, and smiled all the way through (and occasionally said "Wow!") While forward pop-out effects are fun, I don't belong to the church of "gotta have them or what's the point of 3-D?," so the smallish number of those did not bother me one whit here. I believe some 3-D films cry out for such effects, but others don't need them...in fact, they would seem inappropriate.

What astonished me, knowing this had been a 2-D film to begin with, was the absolutely uncanny sense of depth (and I mean deep depth) on display throughout. This is especially true during the desert sequences along Route 66, which I found to be profoundly atmospheric. I felt as though I had really visited and walked around in Radiator Springs in person for a short time. Pixar's level of detail in their CGI has always been wonderful, but this added dimension completely changes the feel of the film for me. Whereas, while watching it in 2-D I was passively involved, I was totally immersed last night viewing this new edition.

All I can say is KUDOS to the people who did the tech work on this!

I'd love to see the same thing done for A BUG'S LIFE, THE INCREDIBLES, WALL-E, and RATATOUILLE, which I believe would mean the entire Pixar catalog of feature films would then be available in 3-D, but I realize these projects take forever. I can only hope CARS 3-D sells well enough to encourage work on those earlier films.

I am just so blown-away! Thanks, Pixar!

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I wouldn't besurprised at all if the rsst were released 3D.From what I gather the movie files are totally digital and allthe elements and by elements I mean whatever you see onscreen, are seperate and can be relatively easily made into 3D compared to film.My only issueis not enough 3D pop out.I dont need them throwing things at the viewer but take a look at Sammy's Tale 2 for an example of what lloks great in 3D.

fxrh

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sam Calvin
I picked this one up on the basis of Dick's review and agree completely. CARS is a new experience in 3D (and I very much enjoyed the movie in 2D). Beautiful job by Disney. I hope THE INCREDIBLES will be next in line.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Dick said:
I'd love to see the same thing done for A BUG'S LIFE, THE INCREDIBLES, WALL-E, and RATATOUILLE, which I believe would mean the entire Pixar catalog of feature films would then be available in 3-D, but I realize these projects take forever.
TonyD said:
I wouldn't besurprised at all if the rsst were released 3D.
Adam Gregorich said:
Dick, I whole-heartedly agree!
:lol: :3dglasses: ;) In November of 2012 the 'Chief creative officer' of Disney animation, John Lasseter said:
.............the conversions are a worthwhile effort regardless of their commercial success.
"We're going through all of the Pixar titles just so we have them," he explained. "I just like it, it's kind of cool. How we use it and how it plays in the marketplace? I don't know."
Source

Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks