1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

UHD Review Cars 3 UHD Review

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Todd Erwin, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Todd Erwin

Todd Erwin Producer
    Reviewer

Todd Erwin
    Todd Erwin

Cars 3 UHD Review
    [​IMG]

In Pixar's Cars 3, Lightning McQueen has to face the fact that his days as a racer are numbered as much younger racers are quite literally passing him by on the racetrack. This latest entry just about alienates its core audience by taking on themes that will likely whiz by a young person's head.

[review]

2. Mark Booth

Mark Booth Screenwriter

We are showing 'Cars 3' next week in the Booth Bijou Garage Theater, along with 'Matinee' as the B-movie.

Mark

TravisR likes this.
  3. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Lead Actor
    Supporter

This has to be the most misunderstood Pixar franchise ever. These films were never aimed squarely at kids, regardless of the fact that one of the results was a merchandising monster.

4. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Lead Actor

It might've been "Doc Hollywood with Cars", but I liked the first one a lot.

The next 2? Meh - both watchable but wholly mediocre films...

Jake Lipson likes this.
  5. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Screenwriter

Jake Lipson
    Colin, I agree with your assessment of the first one, which I think is unfairly mangled by association with what came after. The third one was better than the second, and at least attempted to do something that would feel like the original, but I agree that both sequels are mediocre and wish they had left the first one well enough alone. This is the rare Pixar title I will not own.

6. Colin Jacobson

I watched 2 and 3 back to back last week, and I have to admit I like 2 more now. Maybe that's because I liked the 3D! :)

7. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Screenwriter

Jake Lipson
    My issue with the second film is that in terms of style and story, it has nothing to do with the first film at all. I would have no issue with Pixar doing a spy film, but it was at odds with the "slow down and enjoy life" message of the first one, and they didn't seem to exist in the same world.

The third one at least feels consistent with the first film, as though it is the proper Cars 2 and the actual Cars 2 never happened. I give them credit for trying to make something that made sense this time.

But I didn't really like this story very much and found the Cruz Ramirez character the most annoying cinematic character of the past several years, and didn't feel for her at all, so obviously the way the film ends did not work for me the way the creators seemed to intend that it should.

8. Colin Jacobson

In a way, "Cars 2" is "Temple of Doom" and "Cars 3" is "Last Crusade" - the 2nd film offers a departure from the first while the 3rd one feels closer to the original.

I actually respect the fact that Pixar took a chance and made "2" so different from the original. My biggest problem with "3" is that it feels too much like a semi-remake of the 1st one.

"2" falters more than I'd like, but at least it's something different!