What's new

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
In Pixar’s Cars 3, Lightning McQueen has to face the fact that his days as a racer are numbered as much younger racers are quite literally passing him by on the racetrack. This latest entry just about alienates its core audience by taking on themes that will likely whiz by a young person’s head.

Disc Information

Studio:
Distributed By:
Video Resolution:

Aspect Ratio:
Audio:

Subtitles:
Rating:

Run Time:
Package Includes:

Case Type:

Disc Type:
Region:

Release Date:
MSRP:

The Production:

Video:
3D Rating:

Audio:

Special Features:

Overall:

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
We are showing 'Cars 3' next week in the Booth Bijou Garage Theater, along with 'Matinee' as the B-movie.

Mark

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
This has to be the most misunderstood Pixar franchise ever. These films were never aimed squarely at kids, regardless of the fact that one of the results was a merchandising monster.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
This has to be the most misunderstood Pixar franchise ever. These films were never aimed squarely at kids, regardless of the fact that one of the results was a merchandising monster.

It might've been "Doc Hollywood with Cars", but I liked the first one a lot.

The next 2? Meh - both watchable but wholly mediocre films...

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Colin, I agree with your assessment of the first one, which I think is unfairly mangled by association with what came after. The third one was better than the second, and at least attempted to do something that would feel like the original, but I agree that both sequels are mediocre and wish they had left the first one well enough alone. This is the rare Pixar title I will not own.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Colin, I agree with your assessment of the first one, which I think is unfairly mangled by association with what came after. The third one was better than the second, and at least attempted to do something that would feel like the original, but I agree that both sequels are mediocre and wish they had left the first one well enough alone. This is the rare Pixar title I will not own.

I watched 2 and 3 back to back last week, and I have to admit I like 2 more now. Maybe that's because I liked the 3D! :)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
My issue with the second film is that in terms of style and story, it has nothing to do with the first film at all. I would have no issue with Pixar doing a spy film, but it was at odds with the "slow down and enjoy life" message of the first one, and they didn't seem to exist in the same world.

The third one at least feels consistent with the first film, as though it is the proper Cars 2 and the actual Cars 2 never happened. I give them credit for trying to make something that made sense this time.

But I didn't really like this story very much and found the Cruz Ramirez character the most annoying cinematic character of the past several years, and didn't feel for her at all, so obviously the way the film ends did not work for me the way the creators seemed to intend that it should.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
My issue with the second film is that in terms of style and story, it has nothing to do with the first film at all. I would have no issue with Pixar doing a spy film, but it was at odds with the "slow down and enjoy life" message of the first one, and they didn't seem to exist in the same world.

The third one at least feels consistent with the first film, as though it is the proper Cars 2 and the actual Cars 2 never happened. I give them credit for trying to make something that made sense this time.

But I didn't really like this story very much and found the Cruz Ramirez character the most annoying cinematic character of the past several years, and didn't feel for her at all, so obviously the way the film ends did not work for me the way the creators seemed to intend that it should.

In a way, "Cars 2" is "Temple of Doom" and "Cars 3" is "Last Crusade" - the 2nd film offers a departure from the first while the 3rd one feels closer to the original.

I actually respect the fact that Pixar took a chance and made "2" so different from the original. My biggest problem with "3" is that it feels too much like a semi-remake of the 1st one.

"2" falters more than I'd like, but at least it's something different!

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Does this disc include a UHD version of the "Home Theater Optimizer" feature available on other Pixar discs? It would normally be somewhere in the set-up menu along with audio and subtitle options. The UK 2D and 3D Blu-rays of Cars 3 both included this feature.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I took myself to see this in the theater over the summer...and then got the UHD...and then watched it right before Thanksgiving. It's still mesmerizing and captivating for me. This is a natural progression for Lightning McQueen and struck me as organic for the character. What happens when you can't quite perform to your expectations anymore and others start to pass you? Do you stubbornly keep trying or do you evolve? Lightning stepped aside and evolved.

The first is all about the upstart learning how to be trained and how to achieve their potential. The second is...I don't even know what. This is passing the torch, so to speak. In those respects, I very much recommend Cars 3. (The soundtrack leaves a lot to be desired, though.)

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Does this disc include a UHD version of the "Home Theater Optimizer" feature available on other Pixar discs? It would normally be somewhere in the set-up menu along with audio and subtitle options. The UK 2D and 3D Blu-rays of Cars 3 both included this feature.
Unfortunately, no.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks