What's new

Carrie (1976)-image quality (1 Viewer)

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
What do you guys think of the current dvd's image quality? I thought it was quite good, but the contrast seems off...the whites appear to be blown out (and no, I'm not talking about the White family!) The fire at the prom scene is blinding white, but on one of the disc's docs it is flatter, darker, and orange. There are other scenes I noticed a problem as well, but I don't know how the film should look.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I remember being very impressed with the transfer. Of course, I'd only ever seen the film on cable or VHS so the new DVD easily blew me away with it's quality.

I know exactly what you're talking about with the color, but I think DePalma did that for effect.

Jamie Cole

Stunt Coordinator
The disc is very good, and the color timing adds to the effect of the film. It's a product of its time from a presentation perspective (the film, not the DVD) and it is represented very well on the current DVD.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
LOL, I just happened to watch this last night, haven't seen it since it was a new movie. I got the SE disc pretty cheap, and was thinking to myself while watching "this looks pretty good". I don't know why I should think that, or what I expected...

I do remember a few blemishes on the transferred print, forget where, so obviously they didn't do a huge restoration (IIRC Robert Harris explained why large vertical blemishes are harder/more expensive to remove than horizontal ones). But generally speaking, it's a decent transfer and the sound was decent too.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
I thought it looked great, I was just concerned about the white levels, especially during the fire. If you look of the doc concerning the production, you can see a clip where the fire is darker and has orange..during the feature it is blinding white with just a tad yellow.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Well, I suppose this is a topic for another thread, one that's often come to my mind, but never done anything...

Not speaking of the Carrie doc, just in general: I very often find the PQ of clips in docs looks MUCH better than that in the feature. Even docs that are the same vintage as the transfer, like stuff that's newish. It could just be my taste sometimes, like for color, but usually it isn't, the pic quality in the doc is way up there. Especially noticeable and head-scratching when the feature PQ is mediocre. Might have something to do with fitting all the stuff on one disc etc., but I often even notice this when the extras are on a separate disc.

JeffMc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
jeffmc

Some of those large noticeable vertical blemishes occur during the opening shower sequence. They were noticeable on the earlier DVD and are just as noticeable on the more recent "special edition". Overall, though, it is a nice transfer and nothing really to complain about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ruavain
Recent bookmarks