Carpetoing house - any advice?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Philip Hamm, Jun 26, 2002.

1. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I need all new carpeting in my house - anone have any advice or links to any web sites? We're thinking of going with a nice thick patterned burber. Looking at Shaw I think or Philadelphia carpeting. Any good links? Advice? I've already had the baseboards painted down to the floor with the carpet cut back.

2. Mike boettner

Mike boettner Stunt Coordinator

go with hardwood floors and area rugs. looks nicer and lasts ALOT longer than carpet. I've installed oak floors before and its not too hard!
    Mike

3. Mark R O

Mark R O Stunt Coordinator

Make sure to shop for 1 year same as cash! Carpeteria
    offed great pricing and terms.

4. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

My main level is all hardwood already and I love it. It's a PITA to maintain. Mine are waxed and they need to be resurfaced.[​IMG] They don't look too bad though after a little Murphy's.
    I'm just carpeting the upstairs, downstairs, and the stairs themselves, 2/3 of the house.
    My fiance has an allergy to dust, that's why one reason we're very happy with the hardwood, and also why we're looking at a low lint burber carpet.

5. LDfan

LDfan Supporting Actor

Philip,

I used to work P/T in the flooring dept of Home Depot. Berber type carpeting is a pretty good choice EXCEPT for the stairs. Since Berber carpeting is designed with a continuous loop stitch when the carpet is bent it exposes large gaps down to the matting. Next time you goto a carpet store pick up one of the samples of berber they have and bend it at an angle similar to the way it'll lay on the stairs and you'll see what I mean.
    Also you have to be careful when moving furniture on berber carpeting. If a table leg or anything for that matter snags it you can have some problems. Other than that berber type carpeting is a good choice. They tend to hold up fairly well over time compared to the more traditional plush and textured carpets. There are a ton of brands out there. It's been a few years since I worked at HD so I don't remember many. Sorry!
    Good luck,
    Jeff

6. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

Berber is great but avoid olefin material at all costs. It will eventually matte and get really nasty. Go with a nylon berber. And buy the best pad you can afford.

7. LDfan

LDfan Supporting Actor

Brian is corret. Olefin (Polyproylene) is a common material in many of the cheaper type carpets. It's damn nearly indestructible but has a very 'fake' feel to it. Nylon is the best followed by polyester.

Jeff

8. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Keep it coming folks!

9. LDfan

LDfan Supporting Actor

In case you go against berber in favor of regular carpeting there are a few things to look for.

1. Pile density
    2. Fiber twist
    3. thread count (or something like that)

A higher pile density and count will give a much fuller, thicker feel. Depending on individual taste that may or may not be a good thing. If you get too high the carpet may get a very hard feel to it from so many fibers being packed together so it's all up to the individual. In terms of wear ratings and toughness the fiber twist is very important. The more times a carpet fiber has been twisted that more durable it is. From what I recall most have twist ratings between 3-5. I have seen a few that had over 7. Carpeting never really 'wears' out but what kills carpeting is when the fibers no longer can hold their form and start to get matted and flatten. That is why a higer twist rating is important. Berber uses similar ratings but they cannot be directly compared to the regular carpets since they are of a continuous loop feed.
    Also regular type carpeting comes in 2 types. Plush and textured. Plush is cut a certain way so it gives a very soft feel but will show footprints and such. Textured looks the same but won't show footprints however doesn't feel quite as soft.
    Padding definitely helps. Normal contractor padding is a 5lb padding. Upgraded padding can be found in 6lb and 8lb selections. Berber padding only came in one kind at Home Depot and it was a felt-material kind of padding. They only carried one kind when I worked there so I'm not sure if there are others out there.
    Whew! I think that's about all I remember. Hope this helps.

Jeff

10. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

Berber looks great and is a great carpet, but do not get it if you have pets, especially dogs or cats (gerbils should do minimum damage). Their claws get caught in the tied yarns, and they pull them out over time.

Those snap in hardwood floors are a great choice if you want some variety in a room or two. No waxing, cleans with water, and is scratch resistant. Just a thought, especially in halls.

11. Thomas Reagan

Thomas Reagan Stunt Coordinator

My only advice is don't skimp on the padding. The better the pad, the longer the carpet will last, and the better the carpet will feel under your bare feet. [​IMG]
    Thos.

12. Heinz W

Heinz W Second Unit

Philip, I have been a self-employed carpet installer for 16 years and let me just say that you CAN find a berber that won't "open up" when it bends over the step. Buy the tightest looped berber you can find (and afford of course) and this won't be a problem. These tend to be higher end and usually nylon. Of course, wool is best but your gonna pay big time for that!

As far as mills go, I'd recommend a Shaw berber as they have a relatively new type of backing called 'softback', and it is as the name implies: a soft backed carpet that won't scratch up your walls or baseboards and it has another great thing going for it- it retains its structural integrity a lot better than conventional "action backs" and it holds the pile fibers in much better thus reducing the seam fuzzing effect that occurs in many berbers after they've been down for awhile.

Speaking of seams, with berber it's important that the installer uses a 6" seaming iron and tape on the seams to reduce an unsightly effect of power stretching known as "peaked seams". This is the tendency of the seams to sort of curl up slightly after stretching. 6" seam tape will reduce this effect more or less, depending on the carpet. And make sure the installer uses a power stretcher during the installation and doesn't just knee kick it in. If it isn't power stretched it isn't installed right.

Oh, and re padding: any 6 or 8 lb. rebond pad will do. The only difference is the density. 6 lb. has a softer, more cushy feel while 8 lb. is firmer and usually more expensive. Both are adequate though. Good luck.

13. BrianB

BrianB Producer

14. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Heinz,

THANK YOU FOR YOUR ADVICE!

I did some searches on google but it's surprising how difficult it is to find information on this subject.

15. Heinz W

Heinz W Second Unit

Your welcome Philip. If you have any other questions or concerns feel free to either post it in this thread, or you can PM me. Happy hunting! [​IMG]

16. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter

If your doing your kitchens and bathrooms etc., go with some sort of natural stone or ceramic tile. Completely reduces dust, etc. Wears well and is easy to clean unless you get something porous.

If you have a problem with the cold factor PM me and I'll tell you about a product my company makes.

Patrick

17. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

The kitchens and bathrooms are all tile, as is the entry foyer.