What's new

Carpet Tiles (1 Viewer)

Michael Pineo

Stunt Coordinator
I just carpeted my home theater with carpet tiles, so I thought I would post some images and info in case anyone else was thinking about doing this.

I have wanted to carpet my home theater since we moved into our house last spring, but other things kept coming up. I wanted to install it myself to keep costs down, but I have never installed a carpet before so I was worried about doing it correctly. I had looked at carpet tiles since I have tiled plenty of floors, but the tiles were pretty expensive.

I recently found an on-line supplier that sells leftover tiles from very large commercial orders for very little money (I would post a link, but I'm not sure if we are supposed to do that with retailers. If anyone is interested, PM me). They actually ended up costing less than the cheapo self stick vinyl tiles I was going to tile the hometheater floor with. They were very easy to install and have made a big difference in my theater. Here is a link to some pictures. Sorry if they are too dark. I am planning on retaking them soon.

Carpet Tile Photos

Bob Hill

Stunt Coordinator
I went the industrial carpet tile route as well. Not as soft as conventional pad/carpet but a whole lot more durable and it is nice to only have to change out a few tiles instead of the whole carpet if an "accident" happens.

Michael Pineo

Stunt Coordinator

Actually, the night I installed the tiles we had a big rainstorm that melted a lot of snow and I ended up with some water in my basement (That was my fault. I didn't extend the downspouts away from the house like the home inspector suggested :b I have since extended them and have had no more water in the basement :) ). I had some tiles left over, so I just pulled up the ones that had gotten the wettest and replaced them with fresh new ones. I aired out the wet ones and will cut them up and use them to do a couple of small areas around the edges that I haven't carpeted yet.

Of all of the things I have done to spruce up my home theater, I am most pleased with the carpet tiles. It makes a huge improvement over the concrete floor :)

MikeP

TonyGricar

Agent
on a similar topic, Lowe's sells a line of rolled carpet (Kanga), that is self-install with double-sided tape. .91 a sq. ft. and well worth it, albeit it is a cheaper low-pile carpet. i was able to avoid any seams due to my room being less than 12' wide and it came in at a total of $300.

tony

Bobby C

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Michael,

I found an on-line vendor as well, probably the same guys. Pretty nice selection & well priced. I'm going to put in a subfloor first, then these (probably a month or so out).

Bob

Greg_Moorefi

Auditioning
Michael,
I just joined the forum and cannot PM anyone yet? Anyway, i'm interested in the vendor for my basement HT (about to begin). Also, i'm curious about the carpet tile...does it block the cold produced from the basement floor? I assume insulation w/ carpet on top would be a must for basement floors. Sure would like to go the tile route. Will you send me an email? Thanks

Clay M

Agent
My neighbor used these for his basement. I think it looks good. I could barely seen any seams.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Greg:

When you say you cannot PM anyone yet what do you mean? Are you getting an error message or what?

Parker

Greg_Moorefi

Auditioning
Parker,
when i attempt to PM somone by using the icon above their name, i receive the following page;

"You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:
You are not logged in. Fill in the form at the bottom of this page and try again.
You do not have permission to access the page that you were trying to. Are you trying to edit someone else's post or trying to access administrative features? You may only edit your own posts and administrative options are only available to those given permission to this access.
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.
If you have lost your password click here. "

I've enabled the option under my profile, but still no luck. Any suggestions?

I

SurfHB

Grip
I tried to PM you but I dont think it went through. Can you send me an e-mail with the link and info etc? Thanks!

Jason D.

Agent
I wonder if these carpet tiles would be able to be used as sound dampening on the walls....hmmmm Add a little frame around them an va-la!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks