Carpet tile. Is it easy to self install? Anyone has them?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by DustinLC, Apr 13, 2005.

1. DustinLC

DustinLC Supporting Actor

Is it easier to install than conventional method of carpeting? I installed the prego laminate flooring myself. Anything harder than that I don't want to takle [​IMG].

Any opinions on looks, ease of installation, recommendations, ect..
    or is this just not the way to go.

Thanks.

2. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Never heard of the stuff, got a link to what it is?

3. DustinLC

Ron,

They're just 12x12 - 18x18 carpet pieces that you put together like a puzzle. Not lazy, just couldn't find a useful image for you. Lots of links but all just show the choices of colors, ect.... and the final installed carpet floor. No picture of a person holding up a piece and say "look, this is it." [​IMG]

They sell them at Lowe's.

4. todbnla

todbnla Screenwriter

Todd
    They were pushing them at Home Depot too but I dont see them there anymore, I am doing some flooring research too. I even considered those square rubber floor tiles, like you put in a high end car garage, you can get them in colors too.

(See www.racedeck.com)

5. DustinLC

Todd, those tiles look interesting. Might be good for the garage. Not all that much information about it though. Are you doing it yourself?

The whole reason why I want to do hardwood floor or carpet tiles myself and find easy install method is because I have a two level house filled up with just too many furnitures. It's carpet upstair and downstair but will eventually want to change the carpet and replace some carpet area with hardwood.

By choosing to do it myself, I can take my time in shifting furnitures from one room to another and save in cost. I just can't picture moving everything from the top floor out to have professionals in to replace the carpet. Any ideas in this regard will be appreciated.

I like to replace all the carpet upstair. Downstair, I like to replace carpet in some area and plywood/hardwood with others. I've done the prego snap/glue together wood before so I know what that will involve. Carpet I have no idea.

6. Eric_L

Eric_L Screenwriter

It is never as easy as it looks.

You may think it is a really big jug-saw puzzle, but don't make the mistake. Things go wrong. your room is not square, you are off placing the first tile by .009 degrees but it translates into a huge difference by the time you get to the other side of the house. etc.

If you are getting laminate flooring walk on it in a quiet place - they are not all made equal. There is silencer pads you cal place beneath and again - it is not as easy as it looks - if it were they wouldn't charge what they do to install it...