Carpet on walls of home theater?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by AaronG, Feb 4, 2002.

1. AaronG

AaronG Stunt Coordinator

Hi guys,

I was just wondering if placing carpet 2' up the wall will make a difference in terms of reflections etc.

The room is 12x19 sealed.

Thanks,

Aaron

2. Scott Hayes

Scott Hayes Second Unit

Carpet will help quiet a room but it is possible to quiet a room too much. I glued carpet to a few 4'x4'x1/4" peices of plywood then temporarily hung them on the walls to quiet the apartment I live in and it was too much, I am going to cut them down smaller. If you have a dedicated HT room then you can do the same thing to see how much the room needs (its cheap) then go from there.

3. AaronG

AaronG Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Scott!

Does anyone else have an opinion?

Thanks,

Aaron

4. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Aaron, check out the pics via my Green Room link. I used rubber backed felt from Home Depot on my walls. Because my HT room is so small, I had some pretty bad reflections. The felt tammed them perfectly.
    Peace Out~[​IMG]

5. ace peterson

ace peterson Second Unit

I put carpet on the walls all the way to the ceiling. I think it sounds great! I'll say there are no reflections, but I also don't notice any "over-deadening effect."

6. Scott Page

Scott Page Stunt Coordinator

From what I understand, that isn't such a good idea. I was going to do the same thing until I did some research. Your sofa's will absorb alot anyway down low. It would be better to put the money into sound treatments that can be moved around to where they are needed to reduce earily reflections from speakers. Two feet won't be high enough to stop side reflections from the front speakers. Plus, carpet is very poor at absorbing much of a sound frequency range.

So, IMHO, a waste of money.

7. Chad Anson

Chad Anson Second Unit

I agree with Scott. The carpet may take some of the edge off the sound (much like batting covered with acoustically transparent fabric, which is often used on upper walls in home theaters) but that's about it. You may have better luck with creating your own acoustic panels (http://www.avscience.com/acousticpannel.htm) or using a sound abosbing product (Theatershield+ or soundboard to a lesser extent) covered in acoustic fabric. I also agree that 2' is probably too low. The rule of thumb is that there should be absorption below ear level and reflection above.

8. Dave Pobuda

Dave Pobuda Stunt Coordinator

I also am considering a DIY solution to early reflection from the front sound stage. I have been thinking of using cork on the walls to absorb the early reflections. Any one have any expierience with the trick ?

Thanks,

Dave

9. Scott Page

Scott Page Stunt Coordinator

Dave,

Bad idea. Wood, even soft wood, will reflect lots of sound. It is way to dense and hard to do much good. Search on line and you will find methods to build your own absorbers using 1 by 4 frames filled with fiberglass, backed with acoustic paneling (Home Depot), then wrapped with burlap. You see, even a tight weave fabric will reflect too much sound, that is way burlap is recommended. If tight fabric is bad, can you understand how utterly uneffective cork would be?