Carpet on walls - ideas on how to trim?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Curt_Saw, Jan 9, 2004.

1. Curt_Saw

Curt_Saw Auditioning

Framing begins on my HT room this weekend. The room is about 14'x18'. My plan is to carpet the walls 4' starting from the floor. I was wondering if anyone who has used carpeting could tell me how they trimmed it out at the bottom and at the top edge. Not sure if regular trim will work with the thickness of the carpet.

Any experiences or ideas welcome

Thanks in advance.

2. AaronCushing

AaronCushing Agent

I'd put a quarter-round at the base, or just a regular base-board. At the top, they make a moulding meant for trimming out the top of wainscoting -- it looks like a chair rail, but has a rabbet along the bottom back edge to sit over the paneling (or carpet, in your case).

3. Curt_Saw

Curt_Saw Auditioning

Thanks Aaron, I just wanted to have the plan in my head before the construction starts. I will look for that type trim.

Best regards,

Curt

4. richard_v

richard_v Stunt Coordinator

Check out the pixs on my site (above). I simply used chair railing (top), qtr round (sides), and 4 1/2 base board (bottom). It turned out quite nice. Gluing the carpet was a sticky mess, especially on the large front wall! Good luck.

5. hgerman

hgerman Extra

Here's a good wainscoting website in case any current or future posters want to do some research off of this post.