Carpet on walls good or bad idea?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Larry*S, Oct 29, 2003.

1. Larry*S

Larry*S Agent

Has anyone ever used carpet on the walls?

If so, is there a better kind of carpet to use (berber...)?

How did you get it to adhere to the wall?

Anyone ever try carpet tiles?

If this is not a good idea, any suggestions?

larry*s

2. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Larry, my front wall and side walls are covered with a black heavy duty felt, not quite carpet but close. It works wonders in my small HT room for acoustics and sound control. I first tried panels at reflection points but that did not work well enough. I bought the felt at Home Depot. It is installed with 3M Heavy Duty spray glue and a staple gun.

Peace Out~[​IMG]

3. DavidVT

DavidVT Stunt Coordinator

Larry,

I've done exactly the same thing as you are wanting to do. Check my link (little house above) to check out some pics and email me. I'll give you the entire scoop on wall carpeting.

Dave

4. DavidVT

DavidVT Stunt Coordinator

Larry,

You have the scoop in a return e-mail! If you need any further assistance, just give me a holler

[​IMG]

5. Darren Mortensen

Darren Mortensen Stunt Coordinator

Larry,

We used quite a lot of carpet on the walls. The carpet is called Soft Step and is available at Lowe's and Home Depot. I used carpet adhesive for application. The use of carpet in excess will create a "dead" room sonically, but with acoustical diffusers such as posters, furniture or actual diffusers you can "liven" the room. This is what I did making my own diffusers and stratigically placing wall art for acoustical deflection.

The black carpet also absorbs light, which is a good thing in our theater with such a large screen surface and reflected light from the projector.