What's new

Carpenter's The Fog Pre-DVD-Release Appreciation Thread (1 Viewer)

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
I'm counting the milliseconds until August 27th - when I can finally get my grimy mitts on this DVD! I just had a look at Peter Bracke's early review, and I was thrilled to learn how much he adores this movie. I'd agree that Carpenter's best works are almost definitely Halloween and The Thing, and that other titles like Big Trouble in Little China, Escape from New York, and They Live deserve every loyal 'cult' fan they've earned.
But what about The Fog? I don't think it really qualifies as a cult fave, since you never hear small groups of people raving about it adoringly, and it certainly wasn't a box-office hit...
Personally, I think it's one of the best ghost story movies I've ever seen. My excitement surrounding this DVD release is twofold: I get to add a childhood favorite to my collection, plus there will inevitably be a whole lot of HTFers who will soon be seeing the movie for the first time. To say I'm curious about those reactions would be an understatement.
So what's your take on The Fog? Love, hate, indifference, or just plain ignorance? (I don't mean the nasty kind of ignorance, simply the kind that comes if you ain't seen the movie yet!) I don't have a LD player, so this commentary will be all-new to me, plus the new half-hour documentary piece sounds fantastic!
Maybe I'm warped, but I'm as excited for The Fog as some people are for stuff like Spider-Man and Lord of the Rings. That 'nostalgia factor' is a powerful ally indeed.
Thoughts, hopes, predictions on the movie or the upcoming DVD? Where do you think The Fog ranks among Carpenter's best work? Have you seen this one recently, or has it been 10 years? Do you expect to purchase this one, rent it, or ignore it completely? Anyone out there planning to buy this one 'sight unseen'? If so, that sensation you're feeling is me patting you on the back...metaphorically.
Let me just throw this in as the icing on the cake:

:)

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
I saw this for the first time just last year, actually. I caught it just as it was starting on the Mystery Channel one evening and decided to stay put and watch it instead of going out. I thought it was an excellent ghost story that had great atmosphere but I'm really looking forward to seeing it on dvd because the version I saw was pan-and-scan and I could tell how badly Carpenter's widescreen composition was butchered.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
I haven't seen this in so long and the only on TV. I'll have to give it a rent and decide then.

Thanks for the heads up Scott.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I think it's my favorite Carpenter film, and one of the first titles I searched for when I got my DVD player. It was actually upon joining the HTF I heard the DVD was on the way, and I've been waiting patiently ever since.
I'm glad to see it looks like the transfer is good and the extras are interesting. The cover art totally rocks, and this'll be my first time to see it in it's OAR. Plus, I believe it'll be my first Tom Atkins movie on DVD (now, we just need Night of the Creeps, and I'd think about The New Kids), so there's something!
Bottom line: August 27 will be a cool day in the history of DVD! :)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
IMO, The Fog is a classic and definitely one of John Carpenters top 5 films. It has so much atmosphere that it oozes off the screen. Of all the Carpenter films I own, I have watched and re-watched this one the most.
I LOVE it!
I remember a great quote when it was released from I believe New York Magazine which said John Carpenter's The Fog was "The first poetic horror film"
I couldn't agree more!:)

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
Back when Carpenter made good movies. It has earned its place as part of Carpenter's initial independent trilogy between Halloween and EFNY. (Thing was a studio picture). Absolutely great movie! The atmosphere in this movie is so thick you can cut it with a knife.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Watched this quite recently, still spookily effective, John Carpenter cameos near the beginning talking to Hal Holbrook, Tom Atkins name in the film was Nick Castle, Nick played Michael Myers in Halloween, and oh yeah good ol' dependable worm-face made my Sandra scream.:emoji_thumbsup:

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
John Carpenter is my favorite director of all time, and I love almost all of his films, and THE FOG is no exception. This film is my favorite ghost film, and is one of the most atmospheric films ever made. Also, ya gotta love Carpenter's eerie as hell score! As for Tom Atkins, he is awesome! I love his work.

I will definitely be buying this one to replace my VHS of it that I have right now. I can't wait to see the new transfer and listen to the commentary!

PRINCE OF DARKNESS and THE THING are neck and neck for the honor of being the best film Carpenter has ever made, and they are followed by THEY LIVE, IN THE MOUTH OF MADNESS, ASSAULT ON PRECINCT 13, and THE FOG, so this film would rank as Carpenter's 5th best film, with #1 tied.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
In the DVDFile review, there are a few mentions of some well-documented editing-room woes and/or reshoots.

Anyone know the skinny here?

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
I love this film. Love it. One of those that I saw as a kid so it really scared me, but then didn't see for many years. Often in those cases you end up realizing that it was just your youth that could appreciate the film, but in this case the film stood up just as well, if not better.

Now it is more than just scary, it's INTERESTING to watch. You can't praise a film much more than that.

Scott, you aren't the only one geeked for this one. It's one of the few titles I keep eyeballing on my list of "to get" DVDs. Right there with FOTR and Strange Brew as my top 3 DVDs I am most excited to get this year.

We all lament the fall of JC, but it's even worse when you look back and see just how far that fall is. We've discussed it before and I really think he is much more than a great B-movie director. In his prime this guy was as tight a filmmaker as there was. His visual style was remarkable, the dialog in his films was always lively, and the stories were great.

The guy can tell a film narrative as well as anyone.

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
I watched this at a friends house on HBO amongst several friends during a sleepover (god, the innocence of childhood) during my junior high school years (~ 1981/'82?). Spooked the fuck out of me. It didn't help that a thick fog had rolled in that evening.
Along with Invasion of the Body Snatchers (Donald Sutherland's), The Fog had the most severe and indelible impression on my psyche during my formative years. I was actually disturbed after watching these films...yet they drew me in their sinister folds until I became paranoid and a shivering mass. Also, credit the eeriness of the score.
I spent the following 2-3 years trying to expunge the memories of these films and the effects left on my behavior prior to sleep. Thanks, Scott for reintroducing me to my childhood nightmares. :frowning: ;)
Ahh, the temptations offered by that which bit my hand once before...I might just have to rent this one to see if adulthood has erased most of the gaping breadth of that chasm. Otherwise, it could tip me off of my precarious perch of sanity. Yeah, I'll have to watch this one again.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Scott

IIRC, In regard to the reshoots, the film wasn't as originally "gory" as it is now. After initial previews, in the wake of then current slasher flcks, they decided to make it more violent, especially the opening scenes with the sailors and the Elizabeth Dane.

Carpenter discusses these reshoots on the excellent (ported over from the LD) commentary with Debra Hill.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
As a kid, I was lucky enough to see this and Halloween when it was released during a double feature in NYC.
Ive always had a weakness for this movie. I love it.
Along with The Thing and Halloween, The Fog shows how great Carpenter really used to be.
I cant wait for this DVD.:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :D

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
Wow I am really excited as two of my favorite Carpenter DVDs are coming out, They Live in R2 with the Piper commneatry and the Fog, although I haven't seen this one. I have bought The Thing recently, so I will pick up the Fog and find out for myself.
:D

Brian Kissinger

Screenwriter
I haven't seen this one in a long time, but man did I love it. It didn't make as much an impression on me as The Thing, but I loved it all the same. I can't wait.

Rollie

Stunt Coordinator
After hearing the buzz about this DVD, I was fortunate enough to catch a showing of The Fog on The Mystery Channel. I found it to be very spooky and effective. I've only recently begun to discover Carpenter's films (other than Halloween), and I'll definitely be getting the DVD!

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Played this one at the theater I was working at when it was first released. Color me "indifferent" to the movie. While it was well-photographed, edited and scored (Carpenter's hallmarks from that era), the story left me cold. Couldn't get past the inherent silliness of the premise. To give credit where it's due, the film does create a decent amount of tension with the radio broadcasts. And it's always great to see John Houseman, even if it's just in the prologue. Might pick it up if I can find it for under $10...

Where would I rank it in Carpenter's canon? Well below The Thing and Halloween, his two best films. A little below Big Trouble in Little China, Assault on Precinct 13 and Escape from New York. Better than everything else.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
This one scared the crap out of me when I was a kid. Can't wait to own the DVD :)

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
This is Carpenter at his best. This, Halloween, and The Thing are masterpieces of their genre. Nobody, at least in his day, did the atmospheric horror flick anywhere near as good as Carpenter. The only thing that upsets me is these two DVDs of Carpenter aren't 2-disc Collector's Editions. But I guess there wasn't enough material to make it a 2-disc.

My next 3 DVDs are going to be The Thing, The Fog, and some other as yet to be determined DVD. Good grief my wallet is taking a beating.

The Fog
The Thing
Attack of the Clones
Spider-Man
Return of the Living Dead
LOTR

Ad numerous others. When will the madness end?

Chauncey_G

Second Unit
I was lucky enough to get to see this on the big screen about a year ago (give or take) at a John Carpenter film festival at The Egyptian Theater in L.A. Great film, classic Carpenter, and I can hardly wait for this thing to ship!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks