Carpenter possibly to remake CURSE OF THE DEMON!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Justin_S, Aug 29, 2002.

1. Justin_S

Justin_S Producer

I got this news from the Fangoria website. Here it is:
    August 29: Carpenter to remake CURSE OF THE DEMON?
    In an interview for Knight-Ridder Newspapers, John Carpenter reveals that he’s taking a break from filmmaking for now (“I’ve been working on a nice long vacation”), but does have a comeback project in mind: a remake of the Jacques Tourneau classic CURSE OF THE DEMON. “It’s a great story—a very weird story,” he says of “Casting the Runes,” the Montague R. James tale on which CURSE was based; the original film was recently released on a DVD containing both its U.S. and European (under the title NIGHT OF THE DEMON) cuts.
    I am usually against remakes of great films, but Carpenter is my favorite director of all time, and I think he could pull this off. Not to mention that he also made the greatest remake/reimagining of all time, THE THING, so I'm betting he can do this right. I'm definitely looking forward to this!

2. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

Sounds promising.

Despite the fact that his more recent movies have been mostly poop, I still look forward to Carpenter's next project.

3. JohnE

JohnE Supporting Actor

4. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

[​IMG]
    Just stating some opinions, no offense meant to Carpenter fans. If you love his stuff, great! But, IMHO....
    Carpenter fans, don't read this!
    Carpenter is far from being one of the greatest film directors of all time. His work ranges, for me, from excellent (Halloween) to unwatchable (example coming up) with a lot of mediocre stuff in between.
    I much prefer the original The Thing from Another World directed by Howard Hawks to Carpenter's glorpy remake. Carpenter's version lacked a single character I gave a hoot about. After the terrific opening scenes with the dog, it's all downhill.
    Carpenter totally screwed the pooch with his abysmal remake of Village of the Damned. The original is a terrific British film that still gives me the creeps; the remake is that "unwatchable" film I mentioned above.
    There's no need to remake Curse of the Demon and I can't imagine what Carpenter would bring to the party. Two big thumbs down on this project!
    Okay, I've got my asbestos suit on.
    Jan

5. Jim_K

Jim_K Executive Producer

My first thought upon reading this news was "Ugh [​IMG] yet another needless remake of a classic horror film?"
    Upon reflection I think why not. Maybe Carpenter can get it back with this project. If he doesn't then I'll probably loose all interest in any future projects he does as my patience is wearing thin with him. IMO Capenter hasn't done anything of interest since In The Mouth of Madness. His last few films (Vampires, Ghosts of Mars, Escape From LA) were awful (again IMO).
    Also Carpenter's batting average with Horror remakes is .500 (The Thing [​IMG] - Village of the Damned [​IMG] ).
    Aside from Carpenter's The Thing, Cronenberg's The Fly & Kaufman's Invasion of the Body Snatchers I can't think of any other modern-day Horror remakes worth watching.
    Even if Curse/Night of the Demon turns out to be to be a turd I'll still have the original classic to watch on DVD. [​IMG]

6. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch
    Actually, since he's always describing his films as westerns (EFNY, Assault on Precinct 13, even The Thing) why he doesn't try his hand at a western?

7. Jim_K

Jim_K Executive Producer

In response to Jan's remarks. Don't worry - no flames from me. [​IMG]
    I'd tend to agree with you here (especially when you consider his track record over the past 10-15 years. But you never know how it may turn out so I'll reserve my judgment until I see the finished product.

8. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

Look at other directors and you can pull some stinkers out of their past, and any man that can bring me the joy of seeing THE THING, PRINCE OF DARKNESS, BIG TROUBLE IN LITTLE CHINA, HALLOWEEN, STARMAN, ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK, and THE FOG in the theater I will give him the benfit of the doubt.

9. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch

The problem is his stinkers aren't in the past, they're his most recent work. The great ones you cite are his past.

10. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

But now I've read over at Dark Horizons that Carpenter is pitching a remake of THE FOG! Sheesh. You stick up for a guy and he kicks you in the nads!

11. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

I think Carpenter could do a good job since he is a fan of the original and this one is up his alley. I agree that he didn't do a good job with Village of the Damned but that one never seemed like a good "Carpenter" choice. We can only hope but we always have the excellent original.

12. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

13. Phil Florian

Phil Florian Screenwriter

When I saw this, I thought it was a joke. It sounded like the spoof on "Mr. Show." The Return of the Curse of the Monster's Ghost . Or something like that.
    Phil