Carousel running amok

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by lou spevack, Jun 8, 2003.

1. lou spevack

lou spevack Auditioning

I was installing a digital coax cable on my Toshiba SD-K615 5 disk DVD carousel unit and forgot to cut the power. I accidentally hit the open button and had the drawer pop open with no room to open completely. I rotated the unit quickly but had to hold the drawer as it tried to open for 30-45 seconds. Now the thing is possessed. The drawer opens and rotates randomly. Disks sometimes are recognized, sometimes not. The play button has no effect. Is there any hope for this unit or do I just toss it? It cost $120. No service plan.
    If I replace it I would go for a single tray unit. I do not want to sink a lot of money into a DVD player because the technology is changing so rapidly. Thanks for your thoughts.

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Lou, if unplugging and plugging in the unit has no effect, I would toss the player and get a new one. At least you have an inexpensive player. As for current single-disc models, take a look at the Panasonic DVD-S35S for $100 at Best Buy and Circuit City. Also, all the major manufacturers (e.g., Panasonic, Pioneer, Sony, JVC) make single-disc players in the $100 range. Go to www.crutchfield.com to see such players.