1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Carol Burnett 50th Anniversary: CBS Reunion Special Planned for December

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Garysb, Sep 7, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Garysb

Garysb Producer

Per TVline:

https://tvline.com/2017/09/07/carol-burnett-show-50th-anniversary-special-cast-cbs-reunion/#comment-list-wrapper

Cue the Tarzan yell! For the 50th anniversary of The Carol Burnett Show, CBS is reuniting the beloved variety show’s star with original cast members Vicki Lawrence and Lyle Waggoner for a two-hour extravaganza, appropriately titled The Carol Burnett 50th Anniversary Special.

The star-studded reminiscence, to air Sunday, Dec. 3 (8/7c), will feature not only those o.g.’s plus costume designer Bob Mackie reflecting on their classic series, which ran for 11 seasons and garnered a whopping 25 Primetime Emmy Awards, it will also include A-listers such as Jim Carrey, Kristin Chenoweth, Stephen Colbert, Harry Connick Jr., Bill Hader, Jay Leno, Jane Lynch, Bernadette Peters, Maya Rudolph and Martin Short discussing the trail that the show blazed for them to follow in their careers.

“What makes me happiest,” Burnett said in a statement, “is that so much of the funny stuff we did still holds up today, and we can share it with generations to come. What a great ride!”

No mention of Tim Conway. He was not an original cast member but did make many appearances before becoming a regular. Hope he is not ill.

2. David Weicker

David Weicker Producer

David
    Both Tim Conway and Dick Van Dyke should be there. I would also love it if many of the regular dancers could be mentioned.

3. Blimpoy06

Blimpoy06 Screenwriter

Darin
    I'm always delighted for any chance to see Carol Burnett on TV, but I hate the lines of current TV stars fawning over what an influence the show was to them. Spend more time with the cast and crew from the original show.

EricSchulz, Bob_S. and KPmusmag like this.
  4. Garysb

Garysb Producer

At least Bernadette Peters was a guest on the show. In an "As the Stomach Turns" sketch she was Regan in an "Exorcist " parody.

5. Message #5 of 11 Sep 8, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
    Bob_S.

Bob_S. Screenwriter

Word. I was all excited until I read that (Bernadette Peters being the exception). I think I'll pass and just pull out my dvds.

6. Stan

Stan Producer

Be careful Bob, I was almost banned from HTF when I made some negative comments about Carol Burnett and got into a bit of an argument with another HTF member.

Have seen some of the previews for the show and it looks pretty decent. I'm looking forward to it. Of course they're pumping a new set of DVDs again, but that's to be expected.

7. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve
    I'm a bit concerned about Tim Conway also. He announced a year or so ago that he wasn't going to make public appearances anymore; if memory serves a book tour ended earlier than expected.

Naturally the first thing that comes to mind is something along the lines of memory issues but at Tim's age it could be anything. He's been a part of all prior specials so his absence will be keenly felt.

8. EricSchulz

EricSchulz Producer

Tim Conway with definitely be missed. Even though he wasn't originally a regular, he's a HUGE part of my memories of the show. Hoping he is in good health.

Stan likes this.
  9. Garysb

Garysb Producer

Sadly it has been announced that :
    https://ew.com/news/2018/08/24/the-carol-burnett-show-tim-conway-dementia/
    The Carol Burnett Show alum Tim Conway suffering from dementia

Tim Conway is battling dementia.

The 84-year-old Carol Burnett Show star’s daughter Kelly is asking to be appointed conservator of her father and be in charge of his medical treatments, according to court documents obtained by PEOPLE and first reported by The Blast.

Kelly, 56, filed the documents in Los Angeles on Friday, claiming Conway’s wife Charlene is “planning to move him out of the excellent skilled nursing facility he is currently at” and place him in one that won’t give him access to “registered nurses at all times and his 24-hour caregiver and speech therapist (to help with swallowing).”

Kelly also states that Conway cannot “properly provide for his personal needs for physical health, food, and clothing” and is “almost entirely unresponsive.”

She hopes to be granted guardianship so she can also administer her father’s medications herself.

Before making his mark in Hollywood, Conway surprisingly had no experience in the industry.

“I had no professional training. I had a sense of humor and had been in front of a microphone,” Conway said on an episode of The Interviews: An Oral History of Television in 2004.

He starred on McHale’s Navy, costarred on the 1970s comedy The Carol Burnett Show, acted as the voice of Barnacle Boy on SpongeBob SquarePants and even made a special appearance on the second season of 30 Rock, for which he received an Emmy.

He also won a Golden Globe Award for best supporting actor for The Carol Burnett Show, on which he was best known for characters including the Oldest Man and Mr. Tudball.

Conway’s other TV credits include guest appearances on Married… With Children, Mad About You, Glee, Two and a Half Men, and Mike & Molly.

Before marrying Charlene in 1984, Conway was married to Mary Anne Dalton from 1961-78.

Together they share seven children: sons Jaime, Tim Jr., Pat, Corey and Shawn and daughter Jackie and Kelly.

10. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Sad news, but I think something like this was expected when he wasn't able to participate in the recent anniversary special.

11. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

He's suffered from hydrocephalus for a decade now, and that caused him such problems with dizziness that he had to retire from acting.

The last thing I remember from him was a statement paying tribute to Don Rickles when he died. He must have declined quickly after that.