Carnivorous House

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by PatH, Nov 14, 2005.

1. PatH

PatH Second Unit

Robert Zemeckis and Co. have a movie coming out next year called "Monster House". The house is alive and eats things.
    There's a term for this sort of creature in American folklore but I can't find it despite a bit of searching. Can anyone help me. Thanks!

PatH

2. Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon Supporting Actor

I don't know the answer to your question, but your description kind of reminds me of the storyline of "House of Leaves."

3. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Ex-wife.

4. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

Chu has it right!!! LOL.......

5. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

Dunno the word, but I know this movie was made before, in 1977 in Japan, under the title House ["Hausu"], not to be confused with the 1986 movie of the same name which is about a haunted [as opposed to simply malevolent] house.

6. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    The generic term for haunted and otherwise cursed or evil structures is "The Bad Place" and it encompasses everything from Hill House and the Marsden Mansion to graveyards and the lover's lane in the tale of The Hook. I hadn't heard of any folkloric term specifically for a carnivorous house, but that doesn't mean their isn't one. The Overlook hotel from The Shining is another obvious example. (King was very self-conciously working in that tradition and in a way commenting on it in writing that book, much as 'Salem's Lot is both a novel and an extended meditation on Dracula. King has taught classes on both the Stoker and Shirely Jackson novels.)

Anne Rivers Siddons 1978 The House Next Door is another treatment of the concept, featuring not an ancient "house gone bad" or haunted by events, but a brand new construction that somehow corrupts and destroys - sometimes physically, sometimes in other ways - those who come to live in it. Less a horror novel that a uniquely creepy bit of social commentary, set in an affluent suburb of a southern city that is probably Atlanta.

Regards,

Joe

7. Colton

Colton Supporting Actor

Reminds me of the old movie called "Burnt Offerings" where the house sheds its old paint to reveal a fresh paint job underneath. Oh, and I remember it killed someone by dropping its chimney on them.

- Colton

8. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

Oh my GOD! I think I know that movie. I saw it when I was a kid and was freaked out by it. Didn't someone drown in the pool as well???

9. Colton

Colton Supporting Actor

Yup, that's the one. Also, don't forget the creepy chauffeur with the dark sunglasses.

[​IMG]

Rent it tonight!

- Colton