Carnivale to return for season 2.....

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by todd s, Dec 12, 2003.

1. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

This was posted at www.thefutoncritic.com

Friday, December 12, 2003 - 8:08 AM
    HBO Keeps 'Carnivale' Open for Second Season
    By Brian Ford Sullivan

CHICAGO (thefutoncritic.com) -- HBO is keeping its circus tent open as the pay channel has renewed its freshman drama "Carnivale" for a second season of 13 episodes. Production is slated to begin in the spring for a late 2004 premiere date.

"Carnivale" opened to 5.3 million viewers in September but tumbled to 3.5 million viewers for its finale last month. HBO however has a history of sticking by some of its lower-rated series including "The Wire" and "Oz" in recent years.

Executive producers Daniel Knauf and Howard Klein will remain with the show for its second go around however Ronald D. Moore is not expected to return. The network also kept mum about which cast members will return for the new season as its recent finale left the fate of several characters up in the air.

2. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

Outstanding! I hope they don't 'tweak' it too much to help with the ratings.

3. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

Any chance of a DVD release of Season 1? I'm very curious about this show but have yet to see it. Maybe when SOPRANOS starts up again, I'll get HBO and have a chance to watch Carnivale as well.

I've heard it described as "Twin Peaks but with substance". Is that accurate in your opinions?

4. Romier S

Romier S Producer

5. Rob Speicher

Rob Speicher Supporting Actor

A bit off topic but I can't believe The Wire is low rated.

Good news for Carnivale, though.

6. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

Great news!

7. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

8. PhilipG

PhilipG Cinematographer

Terrific news! [​IMG]

9. Dwight Amato

Dwight Amato Stunt Coordinator

10. PhilipG

PhilipG Cinematographer

11. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Great news!

12. Dwight Amato

Dwight Amato Stunt Coordinator

13. BrianShort

BrianShort Supporting Actor

I think this is fantastic news. Although season one definitely took it's sweet time getting places, and not enough happened in some episodes, I think the mood and the characters more than made up for that, and I can't wait to see where this goes next year.

I did fill out that online survey HBO ran about this show, and one of the downsides I listed was that a lot of the episodes were too slow and they needed more plot development in each one.

Brian

14. PhilipG

PhilipG Cinematographer

15. BrianB

BrianB Producer

16. Olle

Olle Auditioning

PhilipG: I liked Carnivale for its atmosphere and the original setting, but still that isnt enough for a show, You could probably see episode 1 and episode 13 and you´d understand it as well as someone that saw all episodes.

For example, the guy that played Ben had the same weird- question-mark-face-expression all the time and he seemed ok with that. I was just waiting for him to scream: "what the fuck is going on here!" but he seemed content with walking around like a zombie, even though ppl dropped hints all over the place withouth him following up those leads.

For a first season these things are normal though, ecpecially heavy arc stories like this, not that many around
    like babylon5-big-novel stories. these things tend to get better in their 2 or 3rd seasons. So maybe i should wait for the next season. plus i should mention i saw all 13 eps in three days.

17. PhilipG

PhilipG Cinematographer

18. Todd Terwilliger

Todd Terwilliger Screenwriter

Good news! I liked both The Wire and Carnivale. For me, the payoff was good enough since I enjoyed the journey it took.

19. Lloyd White

Lloyd White Stunt Coordinator

Yeah, the Wire 4.5 million viewers is only low rated compared to Sopranos so I'd discount that notion. Besides I have seen many Hiphop videos featuring the Wire's cast and/or themes of the show. The show is high quality and generates a lot of buzz (including keeping the reputation of HBO as high as it is).

The same for Carnivale, even though I don't watch it because it was so slow and I did not see any characters that I found interesting. I do appreciate the setting up and building of characters, but sometimes, a lot of character can be seen when they are in action. Anyways, the show looks great in High definition.

20. ScottH

ScottH Producer

Scott Hanson