What's new

Carnival Story With Anne Baxter (1 Viewer)

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I understand that this film is now in the public domain, which explains why there are so many different DVDs. As far as I can judge, most of these PD discs are of appalling quality.

Does anyone know of a good DVD of Carnival Story?

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
I believe VCI put out a decent version but I'm not sure of the source material.

Plans to film in 3-D were dropped but it was composed for widescreen.
Carnival Story widescreen.JPG

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Yes, I was reading earlier today that the film was originally intended as a 3D production but those plans were changed at the last minute. What a pity.

Thanks for the tip about VCI. I'll check out their DVD. I receive emails from them every few days.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
I bought a PD of "Carnival Story" very early on in the DVD game. I remember very little of the story except for Anne Baxter's outrageous German accent, but would be interested to revisit it if a good print could be released.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I bought a PD of "Carnival Story" very early on in the DVD game. I remember very little of the story except for Anne Baxter's outrageous German accent, but would be interested to revisit it if a good print could be released.

I've now ordered the VCI disc. I'll report back about its picture quality in a week or so. (I'm keeping my fingers crossed because my experience with VCI is none too good)

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I have the old Roan Carnival Story DVD which is now out of print and I thought the quality was more than acceptable. No mention yet that a German language version was shot simultaneously with Curt Jurgens and Eva Bartok. Has anyone seen it?

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I watched the VCI DVD this evening. VHS quality images with less than VHS quality sound. (The disc does have sub-titles. I found them necessary) I'm disappointed of course, but not surprised. I don't think I've ever had a good quality disc from VCI.

The film itself is a pleasant time-passer with zero plus one originality. The one new - and for me startling - element was the presentation of Anne Baxter as a knock-out pin-up. I never knew she had such a good figure or such good legs!

Last edited:

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
I see there is a bluray of this (actually BD-R) too.
Does anyone have it?
http://www.moviezyng.com/089859902420.aspx

I watched the VCI DVD this evening. VHS quality images with less than VHS quality sound. (The disc does have sub-titles. I found them necessary) I'm disappointed of course, but not surprised. I don't think I've ever had a good quality disc from VCI.

Are you sure it was the VCI disc and not a bootleg?
This extract looks good enough for me for a DVD:
http://www.vcientertainment.com/CARNIVAL-STORY

Last edited:

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
I've just checked. Both the disc case and the disc label say VCI.

Ok. And is it like the extract shown in that link?
Because it hardly looked like VHS quality to me. (i guess the bluray could be like that upconverted)
While i did find the film on youtube and the quality was much worse.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Ok. And is it like the extract shown in that link?
Because it hardly looked like VHS quality to me. (i guess the bluray could be like that upconverted)
While i did find the film on youtube and the quality was much worse.

I can't answer your question because my PC monitor and my 10' wide projection screen are totally different. All I can say is that in my opinion the VCI DVD is of very poor quality.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Never knew this was released in blu. Would want to see some reviews before ordering, especially since I never heard of moviezyng before.

136747_front.jpg

The VCI DVD has the same images on the cover.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks