1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Carnival Row

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Johnny Angell, Aug 18, 2019.

1. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    Has anyone caught the trailers for this new Series on Amazon? They have gotten my attention. Apparently the premise is that fantasy creatures like fairies and others aren’t fantasy after all. They’ve fallen on hard circumstances and have congregated into a slum called Carnival Row, located in London, I think.

This is the dark side of fantasy, which itself is not new. It reminds me a bit of the premise of District 9 or Alien Nation. From the previews, it appears to be very well done and I am looking forward to catching it on Labor Day weekend.

benbess likes this.
  2. benbess

benbess Producer

Ben
    Watched the first episode of this last night and I liked it. I think it has beautiful production and costume design, an interesting cast of characters, and rich world building in terms of back stories for characters and societies. It's part fantasy, part steampunk, part murder mystery, part just thought-provoking stuff. A little complicated with all of that, but I'm planning to watch the second episode tonight.

Greg.K likes this.
  3. benbess

benbess Producer

Ben
    Finished this 8-episode show today, and here's my short review....

Part fantasy, part steampunk, and part murder mystery—all of that and much more is rolled into this dramatic and beautifully produced show. The production designs and costume designs are a delicious feast for the eyes, and every one of the actors delivers a strong and nuanced performance (and for me this is Orlando Bloom's finest role). But what holds it all together is the writing by René Echevarria (who wrote for Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, etc), as well as the other writers for this series. The writing combined with the visuals, cinematography, editing, and the performances creates some magical moments of emotion.

I hope Amazon renews this show. I love it.

Sean Bryan and Johnny Angell like this.
  4. JohnRice

JohnRice Executive Producer

John
    I'll definitely be giving it a watch. I seem to be a sucker for anything Steampunk.

benbess likes this.
  5. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Johnny Angell likes this.