Carnival of souls, the Mike Nelson autographed edition: Micro Review

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Kevin M, Aug 12, 2004.

1. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

This won't be in stores until next year but you can get a limited autographed edition through Legend Films for about $23 with S&H, I just got it today and here are my thoughts...

#1 The colorization prosess is as unnatural as it has ever been, it essentially looks like watercolor carefully splashed over the image. The thought behind some of the coloring is interesting though: Herk Harvey having red eyes and all.[​IMG]

#2 The B&W original restoration is really nice, perhaps not exactly on par with the Criterion transfer but surprisingly good although I did notice some digital artifacts on static images such as wallpaper & there is a bit more print damage and dirt than on Criterion's transfer, still not all that bad though.

#3 The 5.1 DD & DTS track (only on the Colorised version[​IMG] ) is fairly restrained and on the whole pretty good if echoish sounding in places and without much hiss or pops, the original mono track on the B&W title is quite clean.

#4 The real reason I bought this was for the Mike Nelson
    commentary and it is (for me at least) worth the money, funny as hell as we would expect..."Boy too many times I had a choice between eating a sandwich alone in my room or sharing dinner with a greasy pervert...and just like her I usually wind up shuffling around my room in a quilted bathrobe."[​IMG]
    For a change the commentary is also available on the B&W version as well.[​IMG]

So I recommend buying this if you are into MN or COS and don't want to hand out the cash for the Criterion edition, the B&W transfer/cleanup is pretty good if not exactly on the same level as the Criterion and of course without as many extras directly associated with the making of the film...then again I suspect most of the people who buy this will do so for Mike's track anyway.

2. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

BTW you better hurry if you really do want it before next year, last time I checked there are only 65 left at Off Color's E-bay site.

Totally understand if it isn't worth the extra $5-6 to some.
    Me, I'm a moron for all things associated with MST3K.

3. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

Kevin,
    Does this release have any info on the SaltAir Pavilion?
    Criterion's disc had loads of photos and history.

4. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Screenwriter
    Supporter

Legend Films takes PD films and colorizes them. Aside from the aforementioned Mike Nelson commentary, there are no extras. PLEASE don't purchase colorized films. They'll just make more!

5. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

As I said, this contains both the colorised version and the original B&W so I can cut them a bit of slack compared to a studio who would release a colorised version only, plus the real reason I bought it (and I suspect most will) was for the Mike Nelson commentary since I already have the Criterion version which has a superior transfer and many extras about Salt Air, Centron and the film in general.

It contains a small text section discussing the making of the film and a bit about the Pavilion plus Mike throws in a few factoids about it as well...then he starts discussing the bands that have appeared at the Trout Air Pavilion such as Huey Lewis and the News and The Grateful Dead thus coming to the conclusion that Salt Air is overrated and can't stand up to that kind of majesty.[​IMG]

If you are a true fan of this little film that could (after a while) and want as much info pertaining to it & the filmmakers then the Criterion DVD is the only way to go.