CARNIVAL OF SOULS, any decent "cheap" versions?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by chris larralde, Oct 24, 2002.

1. chris larralde

chris larralde Stunt Coordinator

This movie seems to fall into the "Night of the living dead" catagory. Tons of cheapy versions and one expensive Criterion version.

Are there any cheap versions that have decent video quality? I've yet to see this film and I'm thinking of buying rather than renting, since it can be had for $6.99

2. Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott Cinematographer

Paul McElligott
    Go with Criterion. Two versions of the film and great extras.

3. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

Carnival of Souls is a far better film than NOTLD IMO. The later Image release would be the only movie-only version to get, but I'd higly recommend the Criterion since it is one of their best releases ever.

4. Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson Screenwriter

Buy Criterion's Carnival of Souls - if you're going to do these things at all, they should be done right!

5. Chuck L

Chuck L Screenwriter

Could not have said it better Jon...very proud to have spent the money on their fine version. It is one of the best of all time as far as I am concerned...

6. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Jeff: So I'm okay with the Image release I bought? While it may not the Criterion disc, at least it's decent? I like Image's work. JB

7. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

I don't have the Image version, so I can't make a call on the transfer quality, but it was released after the Criterion, so I would assume they either used the same master or at least one that is close in quality.

The Criterion version is amazing. I actually find their supplements creepier than the film. The Saltair history just makes my skin crawl.

8. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Screenwriter

Jeff Adkins

9. Lafe F

Lafe F Second Unit

I'm perfectly satisfied with the Image version - nicer cover IMHO. Mine's in a snapper case, but Image may have a keepcase available these days. Extras only include a trailer, but I'm not an extras person. It's a good transfer as far as I'm concerned. It was the movie I wanted, and I paid considerably less than the Criterion version.

10. andrew markworthy

Carnival of the Souls is one of those movies whose original stock was well-preserved, so a lot of the available versions look just fine. I picked up my copy as a free giveaway with a Brit DVD magazine, and I was *very* happy with the quality. Unless you are totally nuts on the movie, then I'd say a cheap copy will be fine.

11. Jason Little

Jason Little Agent

The Carnival of Souls that comes with Total Movie's "40 Free Movies" deal is not that bad. It's inferior to the Criterion, of course, but it's watchable.

And frankly, I think the supplements on the Criterion are rather dull. Huge gaps in the commentary track, and the best parts of it are reprinted in the booklet anyway. The "documentary" is a pretty fluffy piece from local TV. The Herk Harvey educational films are fun for about two minutes. And why bother to watch the theatrical version?

12. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

13. Jason Little

Jason Little Agent

Oh, forgot to mention the outtakes... out of 40 minutes worth of outtakes, there's about 3-4 minutes of stuff that doesn't look exactly like something already in the film. Those 3-4 minutes are cool, but the rest is dull dull dull.

I'd say rent the Criterion, and if you really love it, then buy one of the cheapo ones.

14. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    Chris,

I just moved to south Florida from New Jersey, and all the Blockbusters around both locations seem to have the Criterion version of CoS for rent. Yours might too!