What's new

CARNIVAL OF SOULS, any decent "cheap" versions? (1 Viewer)

chris larralde

Stunt Coordinator
This movie seems to fall into the "Night of the living dead" catagory. Tons of cheapy versions and one expensive Criterion version.

Are there any cheap versions that have decent video quality? I've yet to see this film and I'm thinking of buying rather than renting, since it can be had for $6.99

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Carnival of Souls is a far better film than NOTLD IMO. The later Image release would be the only movie-only version to get, but I'd higly recommend the Criterion since it is one of their best releases ever.

Chuck L

Screenwriter
Could not have said it better Jon...very proud to have spent the money on their fine version. It is one of the best of all time as far as I am concerned...

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Jeff: So I'm okay with the Image release I bought? While it may not the Criterion disc, at least it's decent? I like Image's work. JB

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I don't have the Image version, so I can't make a call on the transfer quality, but it was released after the Criterion, so I would assume they either used the same master or at least one that is close in quality.

The Criterion version is amazing. I actually find their supplements creepier than the film. The Saltair history just makes my skin crawl.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Go with Criterion. Two versions of the film and great extras.
Well, the Criterion is great but most of you have not answered his question. He didn't ask about the quality of the Criterion, rather the quality of the less expensive versions. Not everyone thinks every film is worth $40 no matter how good the supplements are.

Chris, I haven't bought any of the less expensive versions but I have read that the Image version has a transfer that is comparable to the Criterion. I haven't heard anything about Rhino's release. If you just want the movie, pick up the Image version. If you really want the supplements and don't mind spending three to four times as much, get the Criterion.

Jeff

Lafe F

Second Unit
I'm perfectly satisfied with the Image version - nicer cover IMHO. Mine's in a snapper case, but Image may have a keepcase available these days. Extras only include a trailer, but I'm not an extras person. It's a good transfer as far as I'm concerned. It was the movie I wanted, and I paid considerably less than the Criterion version.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Carnival of the Souls is one of those movies whose original stock was well-preserved, so a lot of the available versions look just fine. I picked up my copy as a free giveaway with a Brit DVD magazine, and I was *very* happy with the quality. Unless you are totally nuts on the movie, then I'd say a cheap copy will be fine.

Jason Little

Agent
The Carnival of Souls that comes with Total Movie's "40 Free Movies" deal is not that bad. It's inferior to the Criterion, of course, but it's watchable.

And frankly, I think the supplements on the Criterion are rather dull. Huge gaps in the commentary track, and the best parts of it are reprinted in the booklet anyway. The "documentary" is a pretty fluffy piece from local TV. The Herk Harvey educational films are fun for about two minutes. And why bother to watch the theatrical version?

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
And frankly, I think the supplements on the Criterion are rather dull. Huge gaps in the commentary track, and the best parts of it are reprinted in the booklet anyway. The "documentary" is a pretty fluffy piece from local TV. The Herk Harvey educational films are fun for about two minutes. And why bother to watch the theatrical version?
I agree with Jason. This is not one of Criterion’s stellar efforts insofar as the extras are concerned. If all of the extras were condensed into a single disk, it would have been a better package. This is a case of more did not mean better.

Jason Little

Agent
Oh, forgot to mention the outtakes... out of 40 minutes worth of outtakes, there's about 3-4 minutes of stuff that doesn't look exactly like something already in the film. Those 3-4 minutes are cool, but the rest is dull dull dull.

I'd say rent the Criterion, and if you really love it, then buy one of the cheapo ones.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Chris,

I just moved to south Florida from New Jersey, and all the Blockbusters around both locations seem to have the Criterion version of CoS for rent. Yours might too!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks