What's new

Carnage - quick review (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Quite an Oscar-laden cast featuring Kate Winslet, Jodie Foster, Christoph Waltz, and then there's John C. Reilly. Also directed by Oscar-winning Roman Polanski. The source material was from a French play, and the staging and blocking of the film has that stage feel to it, plus, filming could not have taken more than a week, but I get why the cast involved would take on this film, it's kind of a hoot once you get past the initial 20 minutes of the 2 couples feeling out the other couple as they deal with their sons having engaged in an altercation where one son lost a couple of teeth from being hit by the other son, and the other son doesn't know enough to be sorry for the outcome of the incident. "Carnage" is basically our true selves revealed once we get past the political correct words and actions imposed upon us in polite society, while attempting to repress the fight instinct when we feel threatened in some manner. It's quite humorous how the flight reflex somehow gets sidetracked, and the 2 couple return into the apartment multiple times where most of the film takes place over the course of the day. This film isn't for everyone, but as a peek into how conflict resolution can go horribly wrong, it might be worth a rental some day. There's enough in the script for each of the principal actors to chew some scenery, which turns out to be quite funny in spots. Just note that it's not a laugh riot all the way through, but I suspect couples will get some discussion out the different viewpoints expressed in the film as to couples dynamics and holding a mirror to each other's faults and foibles. The script does stumble a little bit in the final 10 minutes, but still engaging to watch if this is your cup of tea. I give it 3 stars, or a grade of B.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I was really shocked at how much I enjoyed this one. I'd give it 1/2 a star more than you did but we agree on most of it. I thought there were some really hilarious moments here and you never really knew where the film was going to go next. Polanski's cameo was also pretty funny and I do wonder if it was a little nod to THE TENANT. Four great performances and I loved how all four of them got a shot with the spotlight on them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks