What's new

Carly Simon "You're so vain" - dog theory (1 Viewer)

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
I'm wracking my brains....the most reasonable theory I've yet seen on who is the subject of "You're so vain" holds that it's written about Carly's pet dog . Guys wouldn't wear apricot scarves, for goodness sake, but putting a scarf on your dog was common back in the early 1970's. I read a writeup about this theory several years back that made each individual lyric seem plausible to the dog theory. The icing on the cake, however, is how everyone began theorizing how it referred to one of her previous boyfriends.

Does anyone have a link to an article raising this theory?

FeisalK

Screenwriter
*ROFLMAO*

Washington Post: Warren Beatty?

Carly: It certainly sounds like it was about Warren Beatty. He certainly thought it was about him - he called me and said thanks for the song….

WP: You had gone with him?

Carly: Hasn’t everybody?

WP: No.

Carly: That only means you haven’t met him, though at the time I met him he was still relatively undiscovered as a Don Juan. I felt I was one among thousands at that point – it hadn’t reached, you know, the populations of small countries….

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
I thought many of the interviews were quite amusing. I always heard it was about Jagger going back to the time of its release. I guess only one person really knows what it is about and she is having fun with all the theories.;)

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
There was also a theory going around that Bob Dylan's Lay, Lady Lay was also about a dog.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member

The early seventies were weird times for fashion - the simple answer is yes, they would. Scarves/cravats were a very popular fashion item hack then - have a look at sort of outfits Jimi Hendrix wore.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis

This always appeared to be a stretch, because Jagger himself is singing backup on 'You're so Vain'. He isn't credited on the album but that's him singing backup.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Cat Stevens was born Steven Demetre Georgiou. In case anyone was wondering, the song has nothing to do with me so that possibility can be eliminated if it helps at all:D

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Isn't Barry Manilow's "Mandy" about his dog? (or so the legend goes according to "Can't Hardly Wait")

p.s. "Yusuf Islam will always be CAT Stevens" - Homer Simpson :D

Robert Powers

Stunt Coordinator
I always heard it was about James Taylor. She used to be married to him and his name contains all of the letters (A, E, and R).

Then again in the song it states:

"Well, you're where you should be all of the time
And when you're not you're with
Some underworld spy or the wife of a close friend
Wife of a close friend, and...."

Mick Jagger supposedly had an affair and wrote a song about his close friend's (David Bowie)wife.

FeisalK

Screenwriter
if anyone is currently reading The DaVinci Code, or The Rule of Four, I bet this is doing your head in

there can't be that many of Carly's ex-lovers who has a horse that raced(?) in Saratoga, and owns a Lear Jet to boot

has to be a composite

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks