"Carly Simon: Live From Martha's Vineyard" Coming To DVD February 10!! Yay!!

Discussion in 'DVD' started by David Von Pein, Jan 4, 2004.

1. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

If you're a fan of Carly Simon's great music (like me [​IMG]), you'll be thrilled to know that her 1987 concert, "Live From Martha's Vineyard", is being re-mastered for a DVD release on 02/10/2004. ($19.98 MSRP.) [​IMG] [​IMG]

(Great news! My old [​IMG] is wearing thin. [​IMG])

>>> "Carly's popular but out-of-print "Live From Martha's Vineyard" video will finally be re-mastered and re-released as a DVD on Febuary 10. The new DVD version adds a performance of "The Right Thing To Do," a new interview with Carly, behind-the-scenes footage, and more. It's available for pre-ordering now from Amazon."

http://www.carlysimon.net/

[​IMG]

2. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Dec. 18, 2003--Grandstand Entertainment is scheduled to release Carly Simon "Live From Martha's Vineyard"-The Classic Concert on February 10th, 2004. This concert is Carly Simon's first and only DVD release to date, and is one of only three Carly concert performances ever captured on film. This special DVD features classic Carly songs as well as bonus extras.

"Martha's Vineyard is one of my favorite places, filled with beauty and serenity. The experience of performing my music live there is one that I will never forget, which is why I am thrilled that it is being restored and preserved on DVD," explains Carly Simon.

Filmed on the seafront at Martha's Vineyard, this rare performance by Carly Simon was originally aired as an HBO concert special. "Live From Martha's Vineyard"-The Classic Concert captures the artistic genius of a true musical icon performing her classic hits. The DVD features fourteen of her classics, including "You're So Vain," "Anticipation," and "You Belong To Me." Her multitude of fans have hailed this particular concert footage as the most captivating example of Carly's mesmerizing stage presence, an experience that few have had the pleasure of enjoying due to the rarity of her concert performances.

"This is the definitive Carly concert. To me, she has always been one of contemporary music's top singer-songwriters, and this concert shows her at the peak of performance," adds Ken Levy, president of Grandstand Entertainment. "It has been on a lot of people's wish lists for years, and I'm so excited that we're finally getting the opportunity to release it in a sparkling new format."

Carly Simon "Live From Martha's Vineyard"-The Classic Concert DVD will feature:

>> Re-mastered audio in both 5.1 Surround Sound and Dolby stereo

>> Outtakes and behind-the-scenes footage from this historic show

>> An exclusive new interview with Carly Simon

>> One previously omitted song "The Right Thing To Do"

>> A special performance of the Oscar winning song, "Let the River Run" filmed in 2003

>> A gallery of rare photos from Carly Simon's personal collection

>> Discography and song lyrics

3. MatS

MatS Screenwriter

fyi
    you will have to wait just a little while longer
    new date: 3/9

4. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

Great news!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I've been a HUGE fan of Carly Simon since the 1st time I heard "You're So Vain" on the radio in 1973. [​IMG]

5. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino

Quit lying, you've been a huge fan of Carly's since you first saw the cover of "Hotcakes", just like the rest of us. [​IMG]

The Martha's Vineyard concert was terrific. I taped it off the air and wore the tape out years ago. Also got the CD (misnamed "Greatest Hits Live") but found it disappointing because they dropped a couple of songs. I will certainly be picking this one up as soon as it hits store shelves. Ms. Simon still knows more about being genuinely sexy than Madonna and all her pop-tart acolytes combined - and can do it while wearing more clothing. [​IMG]

Regards,

Joe

6. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

As a complement to the fine Carly Simon upcoming DVD, does anyone have this Carole King concert program? .....

[​IMG]

..... And does anyone know if this Carole King DVD is exactly the same as the VHS version? I think they're identical, with nothing extra on the DVD variant. (Thanks.)

[​IMG]

7. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

I did not start buying her LPs until after the experience I mentioned. [​IMG]

8. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson
    So glad to hear of Marthas vineyard is now coming to DVD, I had it recorded on Beta which was retired back in 97 so this is great news!

Wes

9. John Kilduff

John Kilduff Screenwriter

I liked her music for "Working Girl" and I'm a fan of her other work as well. I have been exposed to performances from this concert through VH1 Classic (They air these clips very frequently on "Pop Show" and "All Star Jams"). That, and she has a great smile.

I'll give it a go.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

Okay, now can anybody PLEASE tell me who "You're So Vain" is about?

10. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

11. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino
    My mistake. It was actually the cover photo from "No Secrets" that I had in mind. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Regards,

Joe

12. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

Tis a nice cover! [​IMG] It would probably entice me to buy blind if I were not already a fan.

13. Adam_WM

Adam_WM Screenwriter

Great CD! Should be a great DVD too!

14. Mikah Cerucco

Mikah Cerucco Cinematographer

Is this the concert where she does "itsy bitsy spider" at the end of "Coming Around Again"? I think I taped it from HBO to Beta long ago too, and even dubbed it from Beta to VHS when I went to VHS, but I no longer have the tape. Obviously it has stuck with me, so I'd like to get a copy if it is the same one.

15. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

The very one. I'm pretty sure that "Itsy Bitsy Spider" is included on the CD version ("Greatest Hits Live") as well.

Regards,

Joe

16. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

[​IMG]

17. BBbrowd

BBbrowd Stunt Coordinator

Chris
    Oh, boy! This is wonderful news. I too have been wishing for this one on DVD. What a beautiful concert. It makes me feel wonderful every time I watch it. Thanks for posting the news.

Carly is so amazing and this concert was not only great to listen to but so beautifully photographed. Just gorgeous.

Carly is one of my favorite female vocalists along with Karen Carpenter, Patti Austin, and Roberta Flack.

18. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

A personal review........ [​IMG] [​IMG]
    -----------------------------------------

"CARLY SIMON: LIVE FROM MARTHA'S VINEYARD: THE CLASSIC CONCERT"

My Rating:[​IMG]

Ratio: OAR of 1.33:1 Full Screen.

Audio: DD 5.1 and DD 2.0 Stereo.

Released: 03/09/2004.

Case Type: Keepcase (but with an el-crappola hub -- replacing the case is probably a good idea).

Insert?: Yes.

Subtitles?: Yes (English).

MSRP: $19.98.

[​IMG]

This is a terrific music DVD!*

Pop singer Carly Simon has rarely performed a "Live" concert, which makes this DVD version of her 1987 live concert from Martha's Vineyard (which originally aired as a cable TV special on HBO) all the more a collector's item.** The concert on this DVD represented her first live performance since 1980, and is one of a mere three concerts by the smooth-sounding singer ever to be captured on film.

This concert was filmed on June 9, 1987, which turned out (after some rain earlier that day) to be a beautiful Tuesday afternoon/early evening.* Pretty Massachusetts seafront scenery complements the proceedings nicely.* Carly's "Live" audience this day seems to be a rather small one, which allows for a more natural and relaxed and "homey" feel to the performance.

The previous VHS version was pretty good too....for VHS videotape.* But it's really nice to be able to upgrade this great Martha's Vineyard outing to the improved DVD format.* This Digital version looks pretty darn good to me. It's not perfect, but definitely a strong improvement over the VHS version. Not having to deal with annoying VHS "tracking" difficulties, and being able to directly access each song via chapter selections, make the DVD version of this concert the ultimate video format of choice.

The picture quality here is a bit on the "soft" side. And there's still quite a bit of grain evident. It probably could be a bit sharper in places, but it still looks quite good. The colors look very "warm" and natural.

Audio .... There's a new re-mixed Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround soundtrack here.* Sounds fantastic!* There's a second audio track included also -- an "enhanced" Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo track, which ain't half bad either. Both audio tracks are quite full and robust, with the 2.0 Dolby track actually exhibiting a healthier and richer "bass" than even the 5.1 (at least on my stereo).

As I eluded to above, there's a convenient chapter stop for each of the concert's 13 songs, so you can go straight to your favorite Carly tune.* And there are many "favorites" here (as far as I'm concerned).* About the ONLY thing that would have made this exemplary concert (and DVD) any better would have been if Carly had also performed "Haven't Got Time For The Pain", which isn't included in this concert's roster of hits. But, even without that great 1974 ditty, the song selection is superb.

For me, a frequently-visited chapter on the DVD is "Coming Around Again"/"Itsy Bitsy Spider".* During the "Itsy Bitsy" portion of the song, Carly is joined on stage by the "Itsy Bitsy Chorus" (as they're billed in the ending credits), consisting of six of the cutest kids you'll ever see, two of which are Carly's very own children (Ben and Sally Taylor). And the remainder of the chorus (or at least two more anyhow) are also related to Simon. They do a fine job of "backing up" Miss Simon during this charming number. It's a highly-rewatchable chapter in a sea of top-flight numbers performed during this concert.

Here is a listing of songs contained on the DVD, in order of appearance (total running time for the concert = 59:45):

1. Give Me All Night
    2. Anticipation
    3. You Have To Hurt
    4. You're So Vain
    5. Do The Walls Come Down
    6. Two Hot Girls
    7. It Happens Every Day
    8. Nobody Does It Better
    9. All I Want Is You
    10. The Stuff That Dreams Are Made Of
    11. You Belong To Me
    12. Coming Around Again / Itsy Bitsy Spider
    13. Never Been Gone*

In addition to the above selections, there's a "Bonus Track" included on the disc as well -- "The Right Thing To Do" -- which was not a part of the original 1987 concert.

Menus .... The menu system on this DVD is a silent and static one, with no lengthy (or animated) transitions between sub-menus. (Kudos to this type of menu design!) Several good pictures of Carly are seen on the various sub-menus.

A nice batch of Special Features adorn this first-rate DVD as well. Let's take a detailed gander at them.......

>> A new interview with Carly, created just for this DVD release, filmed at her home in January 2004. It's a very interesting and informative bonus, as Carly reflects back on the "Vineyard" concert. The interview is in three separate segments, with a total running time for all segments equalling 20:10. The individual sections of the interview are entitled "The Concert", "The Songs", and "The Band" -- with segment #2 ("The Songs") lasting the longest, at 9:23. We see lots of bonus concert footage throughout this twenty-minute interview, most of which was taken from a second day of filming on Martha's Vineyard. None of this second day's worth of filming actually made it into the final televised concert version. This is a very nice and well-done bonus feature!

>> "Carly's Scrapbook" (Photo Gallery/Slide Show) -- I love a good photo gallery on DVDs. And this one is quite nice indeed, featuring (as stated in the disc's official press info) many "rare photographs from Carly's personal archives". This well-crafted gallery runs for 2:35 with no user intervention required. The gallery CAN, however, be paused for longer looks at any image. Thankfully, the "pause" button has not been disabled here. This is a very interesting collection of Carly photos, displayed while Carly's 1992 ditty, "Back The Way", plays in the background. Within this gallery, we see Carly alongside some other big-name stars in the world of music, such as Paul McCartney and John Lennon, and others. There's even a photo featuring Carly with that great sax player, William Jefferson Clinton. Yes, the former President himself must also be a Carly Simon fan. [​IMG]

>> A Carly Simon "Discography" -- This text feature utilizes multiple screens to paint a word picture of the long career of the dynamic songstress.

>> Bonus Track: "The Right Thing To Do" (length -- 2:55). This extra song can only be accessed through the "Special Features" menu on the DVD.

>> English subtitles for all songs. On-screen subtitles are also included for all of Carly's between-songs dialogue, as she briefly addresses the audience occasionally during the concert.

One special bonus that didn't end up making it to the DVD is a 2003 performance by Carly of "Let The River Run". When the DVD was initially being planned, this extra song was expected to be included. But evidently there was a snag, and the tune was left off the disc. But even without it, this DVD amounts to a thoroughly pleasant sonic (and visual) music experience.

Any fan of Carly Simon will want to pick up this terrific DVD. [​IMG]

www.carlysimon.com

19. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

Thanks a million David! [​IMG] [​IMG]

20. Jeff Whitford

Jeff Whitford Screenwriter

At my house the bass was more strong on the 5.1 track. I found the sound a little harsh on the high end. It still looks and sound better than the VHS I had.