What's new

Carly Simon DVDA (1 Viewer)

John Geelan

Screenwriter
I recently bought Carly Simon's DVDA "No Secrets". Does anyone else find the Multi-Channel mix strange? It's weird how they put Carly's vocals exclusively in the rear surrounds.
The DVDA sounds great but the vocals don't sound natural the way they did it.

I know it's an early DVDA and hopefully they won't do this kind of mix ever again.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Unfortunately lots of things are done that way. I do understand that "No Secrets" has a hi-rez stereo track. How does that sound? If at lease more software has a hi-rez stereo track that is good, if the multi-channel track is good it is a bonus. My rule of thumb is that if the multi-channel mix enhances what is in front vs. distracting from it I tend to like it.

John Geelan

Screenwriter
The Hi-Rez stereo track is excellent thankfully. At 192k24b it does the job as well as can be hoped for.

The Surround tracks are certainly interesting to listen to but their not natural at all. This is the first DVDA that I've owned were they are way off with the mix.

I wish they would do Carly's Greatest Hits on DVDA soon.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
On a DTS CD I have, which is a very clean recording, the background vocals coming out of the rears drove me nuts. I had an extra pair of full-range B&W speakers I am saving for the basement and I disconnected my rears and replaced them with the extra pair placed on the outside and just behind the mains. It sounded good and like real music.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks