Carl Dreyer's "Vampyr" - best version?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Gordon McMurphy, Mar 26, 2004.

1. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

2. EricSchulz

EricSchulz Producer

Funny that I just rented this from Netflix...the print used is pretty awful. The film is an awesome piece of filmmaking and really needs a better release.

3. Mark_vdH

Mark_vdH Screenwriter

I own the Image edition, and it's indeed not very good. The fuzzy borders around the windowboxed image annoyed me the most, aside from the subtitles (there's nothing "sub" about them).

For the best info on all Carl Dreyer films and dvd releases, I suggest visiting www.carldreyer.com. Nice site with some interesting resources.

4. EricSchulz

EricSchulz Producer

Mark:

You are so right...I watched it today and the subtitles were AWFUL! I would love to see a Criterion edition of this film someday....it truly deserves it!

5. Brian PB

Brian PB Supporting Actor

Martin Koerber did a (reportedly excellent) restoration of this film in 1998. Unfortunately, it hasn't been released yet on DVD. Info about this restoration can be found at carldreyer.com. Criterion has said that they plan to use the Koerber restoration when they get around to releasing this film on DVD.

I've held off on the Image version pending something better (though that may not come until 2005).

6. Jay Blair

Jay Blair Second Unit

Criterion is working on it. I am most definitely holding off on this title until their release. At one time I owned the Image laserdisc and it was truly horrid. I convinced Image to force the store where I got it (Laser Blazer) to take the disc back even though they had a no return policy.

7. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

Do you have a source for that information, Jay? How and when did the rights pass to Criterion?

8. Jim Blackie

Jim Blackie Stunt Coordinator

The Image is pretty bad. But I bought this years ago and have enjoyed watching it at least four times. If I had'nt bought it (a "blind buy") I would have missed the experience, but never been aware of what I was missing.

I WILL double dip on this one, if Criterion indeed does their magic on it.

9. Don Mankowski

Don Mankowski Auditioning

I just picked up a DVD from Siren Visual Entertainment, one that pairs VAMPYR with NOSFERATU (1922). Having seen the same old version of VAMPYR so many times in the past, I was resigned to another go, but this appears to be a differemt cut! It has a different title sequence, lacks those boxy giant subtitles, and I think the audio is clearer than I've yet heard. One or two lines appear to be in English. The visuals are pretty washed out, but it's certainly worth checking out.

The print of NOSFERATU is a rather good one as well.

I'm still hoping for a better release of VAMPYR.

10. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

The French label, MK2, will be releasing the Koerber restoration on DVD in this year, according to their recent catalogue booklet. More info when it cometh.

11. Don Mankowski

Don Mankowski Auditioning

I am hopeful!

12. Jim Peavy

Jim Peavy Supporting Actor

Anybody heard about this?

[​IMG]

Someone posted it on the Classic Horror Film Board, said it was coming from Eureka! as their 50th disc, no release date as of yet. Sure looks legit, but I can find no other mention of it online - ??