Careful with V: The Final Battle Case

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dewitte, Aug 11, 2002.

1. Dewitte

Dewitte Stunt Coordinator

After attending the midnight opening of Best Buy for the Lord of the Rings release, I picked up some other August 6 releases including V: The Final Battle.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I usually pop open the discs after arriving home so there aren't a pain to get out when I actually want to watch them. The "case" for V: The Final Battle has some plastic hub with a lever in the center that's supposed to free one of the "spokes." Unfortunately, not enough of the spoke moves to allow the disc to be free. I managed to crack one of the discs in the process.

Thankfully, Best Buy was open to an exchange (I had the clerk try to get the discs out). If anyone from Warner is reading, they may want to rethink about offering multiple disc sets in a cardboard folder. I realize the uber securing of the discs was necessary for this particular packaging format, but I would have gladly paid the difference for something that's a little easier to open.

Dewitte

2. Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel Cinematographer

3. Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D Cinematographer

Yeah...I hate those damn hubs. They are one of the worst. What I do with them is use one of those free AOL installation discs that are easy to acquire and repeatedly insert and remove from the hub. It helps to loosen it considerably so that the discs are easier to remove for future use. I will have to use my AOL disc on V The Final Battle and Simpsons Season 2 which has these hubs.

4. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Not too many problems here, either. I know what you're referring to and all, but for me these hubs are easy to operate. Just different for different people, I suppose.

5. Craig Sherman

Craig Sherman Stunt Coordinator

I remember this topic first coming to light when the first X-Files box came out. It's been a couple of years, and it looks like the old Digipack has really caught on, embraced by all major studios, from Paramount (Godfather, NextGen) to Columbia (Close Encounters) to Warners (V, Harry Potter). What really confuses me is how popular they are. On many lists of favorite packaging you'll find Fight Club (Fox), Amelie (Disney), etc. Why do we hate the cardboard-plastic hybrid Snapper case used by Warners, but not its close cousin, the Digipack? Even the Snapper can remain closed, without needing a slipcase (Almost Famous, Dreamworks/Universal). And if you get a damaged plastic hub in a Snapper, just unhinge the cardboard and get a replacement (hard, but not impossible). Whereas with a Digipack, the damn thing is glued together! (In fact, I'm trying to re-glue a silver box from my Creative Design 2001 back together without damaging the cardboard. Recommendations?) Not that I support the snapper, in fact I do prefer a package that won't damage those next to it on the shelf as the "lips" of the Snappers tend to, but there used to be a time when Keepcases were as demanded as OAR for our DVDs. What happened?

Back on my meds,

CS

6. streeter

streeter Screenwriter

Michael
    I HATE the digipack. Matthew, I disagree. When I want to watch a movie, I don't want to sit down, put the package on the table and use both hands to get the disc out. And even then they're hell to get out! ESPECIALLY when it's a multi-disc set and I want to switch between the discs. I want to be able to use one hand and just take the disc out. Why does it have to be so hard? These cases don't protect the discs any better. If anything, it damages them when you try to take them out and have to bend them a little.

I hope someone starts a digipack petition. I think the digipack is fine - but they need to be easier to handle.

7. Scott Kriefall

Scott Kriefall Second Unit

Scott

8. Dewitte

Dewitte Stunt Coordinator

9. DavidEC

DavidEC Stunt Coordinator

While I did not care what from of case my DVD's were in before now.. This is the first that the outside packaging looked as if everything was fine and the inside was damaged! It was like it had gotten stepped on!
    So I have a request of somebody with a good scanner and graphics program ... maybe your could make three new slip sleeves for the V: The Final Battle and have them posted on on of the DVD COVER sites such as DVDCOVERART.NET.
    1. One for a double DVD dvd cases.
    2. Two for two single DVD cases.
    So that we could move the DVD's from damaged factory cases to other storage boxes.
    --David