What's new

Care tips for every 'BOOK OF THE DEAD' owner (1 Viewer)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
EDIT: The rubber used for it is foam latex, and will rot over time unless treated. In my post below, I have listed a couple of things that you can do to avoid this.
I have no idea why Anchor Bay chose such a fragile type of rubber and not something more durable, I guess because it feels more like human flesh like the one in the film, but they couldn't have chosen a worse type of rubber!
Unlike Madonna, foam latex does not like to be touched a lot! :)

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Yes, it's foam latex

How do we treat it?

Those people who were returning it should have just aired it out

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
how long will this thing last untreated? 10... 20 years? I would gladly pay to get this thing finished, it is the crown jewel of any Evil Dead GFB :D

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
A good way to treat foam latex is to occasionally pat it down lightly with baby powder, I do this with a Micheal Myers mask that I have, it's actually my second one, the first one rotted away because I didn't take care of it, the second one i've had for 7 years and still looks as good as the day I bought it.
The two biggest culprits to foam latex is the natural oil in your skin, and direct sunlight. Simple, keep it out of direct sunlight, and clean it occasionally with a little baby powder and it should last a long time. Just sprinkle a little on your fingers, and smear it on the surface covering every sqaure inch. Now, you'll get some white powder in the crevices on the book, no problem, just blow it out. Baby powder may even actually help in covering that smell that everyone seems to find objectionable too, although mine smelled fine when I opened it.
Actually, my advice is to not even store the disc in the book, store it in an extra keepcase next to it, this way you'll avoid excess handling of the book's surface, in fact, as much as we love picking it up and admiring it, I would even try to avoid touching the book all together, and just leave it on display. I know, your saying "Where's the fun in just looking at it?", but it will last a lifetime. If you must handle it, pat it down afterwards.
If you opt not to touch the book, do this every couple of months or so, as less handling means that you don't need to do it all the time.
Foam latex when left untreated, turns basically into a sticky goo, kinda like used chewing gum, and can fall apart very easily, i've seen it happen, and it's not pretty.
We all want our 'Books of the Dead' to live a long time.:)

Stacey

Stunt Coordinator
Would "Re-bagging" it help or hurt?

My idea was to take the book and put it back in the plastic box it came in then covering it with a bag made from a Vinal Bag.

Julie K

Screenwriter
Those people who were returning it should have just aired it out
It made me real sick, but I wouldn't have dreamed of returning it.
Off to buy baby powder....
"Ooohhh, so how old's your little one?"
"My 'little one' is an evil book bound in human flesh and inked in human blood. Thanks for asking. Would you like to be the first sacrifice?"
:laugh:

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I have both a baby and the Book of the Dead in my house presently. The difference between the two is fairly straightforward. About once a night, my infant daughter wakes up and says "da-da-da-da-DAHHHHHH! WAHHHHHHHH!" until she is fed. The Book of the Dead, on the other hand says: "da-da-da-da-DAHHHHHH! Join Us! WAHHHHHHHH! I'll swallow your soul! I'll swallow your soul!" until either it is fed or the sun rises. A trained ear should have no problem distinguishing which is which.
Another obvious difference is that modern pediatricians would prefer I use baby powder on my Book of the Dead than on my daughter. :)
Regards,

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I keep mine in the plastic thing it came in with the cardboard on top. On the shelf it looks like it's kissing the disc in front of it though.

jonathanR

Stunt Coordinator
Hello all:

Is there a way to seal it besides using baby powder, any form of spray on sealant you can use? I don't care if it gets as hard as a rock, there has to be some sort of spray that can seal it without damaging the latex......anyone???

John

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks