What's new

Care and repair and maintenance of our extinct plasma TV’s, just to keep them going a little longer. (1 Viewer)

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Thanks Osato! Yeah, with the plasma panel itself still looking really good, it seems a shame to waste it.

And yeah, the Dr. No blu ray looks really good. When I replace my main HT display with a 4K OLED, I look forward to seeing the Bond films. I really hope that means on 4K blu ray UHD discs.

Very cool. I’ve been happy with my used Oled.
Apple 4k tv has been a great addition too. I bought the device in March and bought all the 007 films in 4K this summer.

Maybe someday mgm will release the non Craig films on UHd Blu Ray.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
i need to see if the Kuro has any value, if I can CL it for anything worthwhile. Or just take it to a e-recycling event to dispose of.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Nice Dave! For my plasma replacement, I’m looking at a Sony too, one of their OLED sets.

I’d love to take your Kuro off your hands. i hope it finds a new home with someone who can appreciate it.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
I still have a 50" Kuro, which got swapped to the bedroom after my Pioneer 434 died two years ago. In turn, I got an LG 65" C8 OLED for the living room. While prices of OLEDs have dropped further since I got it two years ago, I'm glad the price had already reached a more affordable level than the early days. And of course the added benefit of it being 4K, so I sprung for a UHD Oppo too (just managed to snag a 203 before they disappeared entirely).

Save for an initial lemon that had severe banding problems and was swapped, I've been entirely happy with the OLED. So while I hope the Kuro keeps going strong for many more years, if/when it finally gives up the ghost, I won't be too perturbed with the idea of having to replace it with an OLED.

As an aside, for the 434 the point of failure seemed to be the power supply in the media receiver box. I was fortunate in that a friend had a disused 504, and he loaned me his box, so I eked out another 1-2 years out of the 434, but in turn it appears the power supply in his box also died, which is when I finally junked it. Which is somewhat surprising, given that he'd hardly used his 504 at all for several years, whereas my 434 saw a good amount of use for the 14 years or so that I had it. (Spares were not available from the local distributor, and I just missed snagging a second-hand box on sale on a local online marketplace by a month or so, after it had been advertised for well over a year...)

Last edited:

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
i need to see if the Kuro has any value, if I can CL it for anything worthwhile. Or just take it to a e-recycling event to dispose of.

Dave It took a while but I was able to sell my Panasonic plasma last year for $200 on eBay local pickup. There’s quite a few sites out there that will give you a suggested value range for electronics too.
I upgraded to 4k and it came down to space for my old plasma. I just didn’t have a home for it in my house.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Same here. No space for this otherwise great plasma TV in my home. 50” too big for the rarely used guest bedroom.

no exaggeration I think it looks great compared to a top tier 2020 Sony LCD. Not as bright. But contrast as good or better.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I tossed the box last year, too much trouble to ship. I’d love to sell it for a modest price to an HTF’er. :)

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I tossed the box last year, too much trouble to ship. I’d love to sell it for a modest price to an HTF’er. :)

Agreed. Someone will take it off your hands for something. I was over the moon to sell mine to someone who really wanted it plus he paid something for it too.

It has value for sure.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I found all the bits and bots, got the stand and speaker back on, checked the original remote still works. Listed it here and in the neighborhood for what I think is a fair price. Hopefully get it on to a new enthusiast fast. :)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
A week later, and zero interest in a used plasma. Might be a terrible time to sell a used TV: two weeks before Pandemic Christmas people want new 4KTVs shipped from Amazon, not dealing with buying used in person.

If shipping wasn't so difficult and expensive, I'd consider offering it an HTF'er for cost of shipping. But dealing with freight packaging and shipping -- it feels like a lot of effort.

Probably going into my garage until the next e-cycling event, maybe in the spring. Or I hang onto it and try to sell it again in the Spring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks