What's new

Care and repair and maintenance of our extinct plasma TV’s, just to keep them going a little longer. (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I don't think it really matters as much where it was manufactured, as it matters what the intention was when it was being designed and fabricated. I think every Blu-ray player I've owned has been made in either China, Japan or Korea, and they were of varying quality - the expensive Oppo was built like a tank and still works flawlessly, while some of the inexpensive ones are showing their age and/or occasionally behaving quirky. To me, that says less about country of origin and more that the Oppo was designed to last, while the other players were designed to be functional on a budget, with longevity not being a top priority.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
There are a number of comments about "planned obsolescence" but I don't think it makes economic sense to have electronics with very lengthy lifetimes in this fast-evolving era.

I largely agree. But consider the "fast-evolving". Have you ever seen stuff rolled out in such a half-assed and disorganized manner as current displays are? I'd say a lot of the products aren't even finished being designed. Roll it out anyway, promise some afterthought as an upgrade so the display at least won't be totally out of date 2 years later re some important video format. Some of the manufacturers can barely figure out how to calibrate their displays (I doubt they truly know).

I guess the "good" displays are cheap enough that I personally don't truly care. I really prefer not to buy things that look poorly-built to me. I'm not the "disposable" type of person, I'd rather pay more for something solid. But the world is moving away from that. Intentionally.

Reminds me of that movie where somebody designed something indestructible and permanent...the truly massive resistance to it from all the "special interest" groups (as we'd call them now), and the resistance from general society itself. Makes you think, obsolescence might possibly actually be a good societal thing, but goes against my nature so I have a hard time with it.

Last edited:

questrider

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
Brian, your post has given me some hope about a repair. If the TV repair tech finds the same problem in my set that you had in yours, and the repair is in the same dollar range, i’ll be very happy. I’d expect the parts to cost a little more as it’s a few years later, so I can deal with that. I hope he shows up tomorrow as scheduled.

Agreed on the cost differential. I know when my board was replaced it was with a new OEM one from Panasonic. Today, I'm not so sure that would be the case. At the time, I asked the technician whether the boards would still be manufactured by Panasonic since it had just been announced they were ending manufacturing and selling plasma TVs and he seemed to think they'd continue making them for repairs because there were so many of them out in the field. However, it's now 2018 so I'm curious to hear what it takes to replace a board these days over four years later.

Brian, what was the reason for the pop sound, if you know? Was it a capacitor blowing or something else? I’m curious what board was replaced, power supply, or main board? Thanks.

There are several boards that can need replacing. I didn't get any details concerning the how and why except that it was an SN Board replacement, which runs down the right side of the TV which the ribbons that deliver the picture to the plasma screen are connected.

plasma-labels.png

Funny end to my story is that the authorized Panasonic service center was 45 miles away so I box up the TV in its original box and transport it there. The technician says, "I don't need or want the box." Fine, it was just for transport in my van. It takes a week or two to get fixed and when I show back up the technician immediately wants to just basically throw it in the back of the van. I assure him that I want to put it back in the box for transport. I get home and turn it on there is a series gray horizontal lines running through the bottom third of the screen.

tc-p50g25_lines_02.png

And I'm like, "What the... ??" So I call the place back up and am told it must have occurred during transport because it looked fine in their shop. Which begged the question: And you wanted to put it on the floor of my van without the box? Anyway, they say bring it back in and they'll take a look at it. Well I'm confounded with the idea of boxing the TV back up and driving another 90 miles round trip when I just did the trip not even an hour ago. So I figure, "Well, it wouldn't hurt to open it up and check to see if those ribbons are seated correctly." So I place a post-it note next to the lines so I know which ribbon they belong to, unplugged the TV, took the back off (so many screws!), and re-seated that particular ribbon. Turned the TV back on and the lines were gone. And, thus, I knock on figurative wood and cross my fingers every time I've turned it on or off since!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the story Brian! I feel very lucky I got a tech who made a house call! He prefers to fix it at the owner’s home. Glad you were able to take care of the gray line problem!

The tech just left and he determined the power supply board is dead on my set. He has to go back to his office and research the part to get a replacement as he wasn’t able to find the info on his phone. He also said he has the same set as mine and the main board went out on his. He was able to get the part and replace it.

To answer the question of where the set was made, in my case, the Panasonic plasma was assembled in Mexico. According the tech who visited me today, it’s on the border with Texas. He said he has sent parts to the Texas facility where they re-work the part to refurbish it and send it back. So I guess if the part that’s gone bad is no longer available, it could be refurbished in Texas or Mexico.

As for where the parts were originally made, I don’t know. Since the label on the TV says assembled in Mexico, the parts could have come from Japan or Asia or maybe even Mexico.

I should know the cost and parts availability later today.

By the way, Brian, thanks for the pics of the back of the Panasonic, that’s pretty similar to mine.

Last edited:

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I largely agree. But consider the "fast-evolving". Have you ever seen stuff rolled out in such a half-assed and disorganized manner as current displays are? I'd say a lot of the products aren't even finished being designed. Roll it out anyway, promise some afterthought as an upgrade so the display at least won't be totally out of date 2 years later re some important video format. Some of the manufacturers can barely figure out how to calibrate their displays (I doubt they truly know).

I guess the "good" displays are cheap enough that I personally don't truly care. I really prefer not to buy things that look poorly-built to me. I'm not the "disposable" type of person, I'd rather pay more for something solid. But the world is moving away from that. Intentionally.

Reminds me of that movie where somebody designed something indestructible and permanent...the truly massive resistance to it from all the "special interest" groups (as we'd call them now), and the resistance from general society itself. Makes you think, obsolescence might possibly actually be a good societal thing, but goes against my nature so I have a hard time with it.
It sounds like you may be referring to the HDR and HDMI standards. They do have a rushed feeling to them. Manufacturers are probably thinking they need to have something to entice buyers. 4k resolution alone isn't a big enough difference. It's ultimately up to consumers to determine what is and isn't enticing enough to justify the "push" . Personally, I shake my head at the people who fall all over themselves in their eagerness to get THIS year's smartphone. For that matter, I'd still be using that RPTV if it hadn't died.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg

questrider

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
The tech just left and he determined the power supply board is dead on my set. He has to go back to his office and research the part to get a replacement as he wasn’t able to find the info on his phone. He also said he has the same set as mine and the main board went out on his. He was able to get the part and replace it.

Good to know that these boards are still replaceable and/or fixable lo these many years later!

My take on it is that since plasma TVs cannot be bought new anymore I'm willing to have boards fixed and replaced until I can't get them fixed and replaced anymore. Or I'll think about buying new when a comparable picture such as an OLED comes down to a more budget-acceptable price!

By the way, Brian, thanks for the pics of the back of the Panasonic, that’s pretty similar to mine.

I can't take credit for that as it is from someone's blog about fixing a Panasonic plasma. Imagine that!

https://innovativeslacker.com/blog/how-to-fix-panisonic-10-blink-error/

Incidentally, the person who wrote that blog above eventually suffered from the same gray (black) lines due to improperly seated ribbons.

Last edited:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
By the way Josh, my set has 35 screws in the back. The technician has an electric screw driver and he made fast work of removing all the screws. It looked like a Dewalt and is the rechargeable type. If you do a lot of DIY projects, it could be a worth while investment. Something to consider when you open your set. :)

https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DCF682N1-Gyroscopic-Inline-Screwdriver/dp/B011WRUODC

That's nice. Very nice.

But I get the same kind of service out of my rechargeable drill (Ryobi). Probably my favorite (and most oft-used tool).

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I bought a Panasonic TC-P50G25 in October 2010 for $1100 and had the "pop" (sounded like stepping on a light bulb) occur in February 2014 as I turned it off one night. Took it to a certified Panasonic repair shop and had a board replaced in it for $350. If the same thing occurs now, I'd gladly pay another $350 to get it fixed but I don't think it will be that inexpensive or even possible in 2018 (do they even still make these boards anymore?). I knock on figurative wood and cross my fingers every time I turn it on or off because I still think the picture is absolutely beautiful and would hate to see it go.

My friend had his Plasma serviced about a year and a half ago for just over $300 also. The technician told him with the faulty part replaced his Samsung should last another 20 years or so.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I have a 2009 Kuro 50". I use it like I have the past nine years; nothing special in its care and feeding. I can only hope it lasts until I can upgrade to 4K, which is maybe next year at the earliest.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
By the way Josh, my set has 35 screws in the back. The technician has an electric screw driver and he made fast work of removing all the screws. It looked like a Dewalt and is the rechargeable type. If you do a lot of DIY projects, it could be a worth while investment. Something to consider when you open your set. :)

https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DCF682N1-Gyroscopic-Inline-Screwdriver/dp/B011WRUODC
I bought a rechargeable screwdriver a few years ago, and it was an excellent $30 purchase. I don't do a lot of DIY, but I do enough installing of lights and miscellaneous around the house to be glad for it.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I bought a rechargeable screwdriver a few years ago, and it was an excellent $30 purchase. I don't do a lot of DIY, but I do enough installing of lights and miscellaneous around the house to be glad for it.

Do you happen to have a link to that one? That’s in my price range for something like this..

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Good news so far, the technician sent me an estimate to replace the power supply board on my Panasonic. The cost is a little over $500 which is within what I was expecting. The board was $200 which was also what I was expecting. I hope the part will be available once shipped to him and we’ll soon be back to watching movies! Unless there’s another problem after the PS board is installed.

Brian, agreed that for now, it’s worth a few bucks to keep the plasma going until it’s no longer possible.

Josh, check amazon, there’s a Black and Decker screw driver for even less money. :)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey Mike, I have a cordless drill and cordless screw driver set from Makita. I know what you mean, though I worry those are a little too powerful for tightening the screws on something such as a TV. Unless you can adjust the torque setting.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
My Panasonic plasma was purchased in 2009 and is still kicking.

I’m holding out for Oled UHd as well.

Specifically the 007 films on UHd blu ray.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Do you happen to have a link to that one? That’s in my price range for something like this..
I bought it about five years ago. It's a Black and Decker cordless screwdriver, gyro controls so it just spins when you turn it with no button to press. It was at all the hardware stores when I was shopping then.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
My brother had his Samsung plasma for over 10 years. If it ever starts acting up I will encourage him to get it fixed. - He has a first generation Samsung 4K LED set that pales in comparison to the video quality of his plasma(we tried them out side by side when he first purchased it). Especially considering he has zero interest in 4K content, he just needed a new TV a few years ago, and happened to buy a 4K set.

When My friend's Plasma ""popped" and it didn't power on I had to talk him into getting it fixed. This made three times I recommended to people I know get their sets "fixed" instead buying a new TV. Weird to me. There are many TV repair places around town. They know what they are doing. The TV will be repaired, and if the cost is too steep they will be notified before the repair process. Doesn't make sense to me to throw a TV with many years of life left in it away.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
...He has a first generation Samsung 4K LED set that pales in comparison to the video quality of his plasma...
Me too, same situation, no comparison, (Pio) 1080p plasma wins. No HDR on those early 4K Sammies either, and that's the kicker for 4K. They run cool though, and not bad for gaming (I suppose...I still prefer plasma).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks