What's new

Care and repair and maintenance of our extinct plasma TV’s, just to keep them going a little longer. (1 Viewer)

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I expect to replace my Pioneer Kuro 5020FD 50” plasma this Summer.

Is there any resale value for it? Should I bring it to HTF for sale? I need to figure out what I’ll do with it. It’s in great condition. No burn in. I might still have original box.

i sold my 2009 Panasonic 54” g series for $300 last summer.

someone will want it.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I’m sure someone would be interested!

Couldn’t you keep it to use in another room?
I just don’t have a place for a spare 50” TV. So I hope to give it a new home. If I can a few dollars from it, that will help buy all the new 4k electronics I want. :)

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
If Craigslist, be patient. I checked last night before I posted and all the ads for the Pioneers I’d seen a month or so ago had been taken down. One of them was a 60” Elite that the guy was asking maybe $800-1000 for. I was surprised to see that one move.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
BTW, why are you selling it, if it still works? I’ve heard that the displays will practically last forever, it’s the power supplies that typically die. I’m going to snag one for mine on ebay soon so I’ll have one on hand.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
How did you sell yours? eBay? Craigslist? Forum listing?

i listed it here on htf but I found a local buyer via eBay. I did local pick up only on the
Listing to avoid shipping.

also I researched a bit on what the panel might be worth. Some sites said it could have still had $400-500 in value. In the end I was happy though.
The buyer really wanted it and I didn’t have space for it either. There was nothing wrong with it but I wanted to go 4k.
If a friend or family member wanted it I would’ve given it to them.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
BTW, why are you selling it, if it still works? I’ve heard that the displays will practically last forever, it’s the power supplies that typically die. I’m going to snag one for mine on ebay soon so I’ll have one on hand.

I’m upgrading to 4k this year. This is my living room TV, and I’ll be going from a 50” HD to 65” UHD set.

I’ll have nowhere in the house to move / use the Kuro.

I’ll sell it if there’s an enthusiast who wants it. Otherwise, wait for the next big e-recycling event and dispose of it.

Last edited:

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I’m upgrading to 4k this year. This is my living room TV, and I’ll be going from a 50” HD to 65” UHD set.

I’ll have nowhere in house to move / use the Kuro. I’ll sell it if there’s an enthusiast who wants it. Otherwise, wait for the next big e-recycling event and dispose of it.

wow. This is a lot like me. I had nowhere to put my old
Plasma either. List it now and see what happens. It may take time but you’ll find a buyer. Plus you’ll have some extra $ for your purchase.
I went without a large tv for a while too!
It was thrilling to get a 65” screen for me after not having one for a few weeks.

mug you are unsure of value and can’t find one listed this site may be helpful:
https://www.gadgetvalue.com/?page_id=358

I found a range to go on for my Panasonic. I priced it higher but I was still
Pleased with $300.

Last edited:

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Thanks for the tips. I’m waiting for 2020 sets to be launched, then I can list this while I shop for a new set.

But I can’t risk going without a living room set for several months. :)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I have to admire guys who want to hang on to their plasmas. I mean the Panny VT30 that I gave to my sister when I bought my first OLED still looks pretty good for a 1080p set; however, if it died and was going to cost 700 to fix then it would be gone to the recycler. I would find that 700 better put against a new OLED or QLED (if budget or absolute size was important) 4K set.

I'm sorry but plasma is no longer competitive in any way with an OLED set and is getting pretty well uncompetitive with QLED. The upscalers on a quality 4K set make 1080p look excellent and even 480p.stuff can look reasonably decent with some picture tinkering.

Sometimes, a.person has to move with the times; although, I'm pretty close to making 4K the final upgrade as far as a TV set goes. I think at this point my 4K set will have to die and 8K or 10K would have to be the only resolution available before I would bother with a set higher than 4K, mostly because 8K content is virtually non-existent. Even 4K has barely penetrated the broadcast market and 4K BDs feel like they are on death's doorstep. I cannot even remember the last time I bought a 4K disc. Studios killed that format with their ridiculous pricing just like they did to 3D discs.

Never thought I would say it but I prefer to just stream content now then have a.shelf full of discs. I would probably only buy stuff I really like as insurance against it being pulled off of a service.

willyTass

Supporting Actor
If anyone is still following this thread, I have a 65” Pioneer Kuro Elite that I am about to replace with a 4K Sony. Low mileage and works perfectly. I have the speakers, remote and manual. Free to anyone who can pick it up from western Massachusetts.

I assume u mean 60”

but thats very generous of you. One never sees members give away quality products on our Aussie forums

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
wow. This is a lot like me. I had nowhere to put my old
Plasma either. List it now and see what happens. It may take time but you’ll find a buyer. Plus you’ll have some extra $ for your purchase.
I went without a large tv for a while too!
It was thrilling to get a 65” screen for me after not having one for a few weeks.

mug you are unsure of value and can’t find one listed this site may be helpful:
https://www.gadgetvalue.com/?page_id=358

I found a range to go on for my Panasonic. I priced it higher but I was still
Pleased with $300.
I just tried that site, and it asks for some info but not model number. Then before you can get their value number you have to answer survey questions that just keep going. I gave up.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey guys, the recent activity in this thread had spurred me to look on eBay again for another Pioneer media box for my Pioneer plasma.

I haven’t posted about this, but a few months ago, the tuner on the last Pioneer media box that I got from eBay stopped working. :(. As a fix, I used an old Zenith tuner that was sold back in the days to retrofit older analog TV sets when the switch was made to digital. I used one of the analog video inputs and im back in business. Its not a true HD image, so it’s not fitting the screen exactly, but it works.

I was thinking this might be it. The remote control is wearing, the tuner died, the plasma is 720p. But I’m thinking again while we are still in the pandemic, I’m good to try one more time to replace this media box with another from eBay. Surprisingly, they keep showing up for sale. For a TV that I use in the kitchen family room area, I still think the glass performs so well. I streamed a MakeMKV file I made from the blu ray of Dr. No. I was so impressed how good it looks! Using an Apple TV4K to the Pioneer works great.

I’ll see if I can pick up another media box and maybe a used remote too. Though I wonder if I could open mine up and clean the contacts.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Hey guys, the recent activity in this thread had spurred me to look on eBay again for another Pioneer media box for my Pioneer plasma.

I haven’t posted about this, but a few months ago, the tuner on the last Pioneer media box that I got from eBay stopped working. :(. As a fix, I used an old Zenith tuner that was sold back in the days to retrofit older analog TV sets when the switch was made to digital. I used one of the analog video inputs and im back in business. Its not a true HD image, so it’s not fitting the screen exactly, but it works.

I was thinking this might be it. The remote control is wearing, the tuner died, the plasma is 720p. But I’m thinking again while we are still in the pandemic, I’m good to try one more time to replace this media box with another from eBay. Surprisingly, they keep showing up for sale. For a TV that I use in the kitchen family room area, I still think the glass performs so well. I streamed a MakeMKV file I made from the blu ray of Dr. No. I was so impressed how good it looks! Using an Apple TV4K to the Pioneer works great.

I’ll see if I can pick up another media box and maybe a used remote too. Though I wonder if I could open mine up and clean the contacts.

I admire your dedication!

Dr. No and all of the Bond films look amazing in 4k.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Osato! Yeah, with the plasma panel itself still looking really good, it seems a shame to waste it.

And yeah, the Dr. No blu ray looks really good. When I replace my main HT display with a 4K OLED, I look forward to seeing the Bond films. I really hope that means on 4K blu ray UHD discs.

Users who are viewing this thread