What's new

Care and repair and maintenance of our extinct plasma TV’s, just to keep them going a little longer. (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Guys, I had a scare this week with my Pioneer plasma. A little reminder about my set. This plasma was built in 2005-2006 and was that era when analog TV was on the cusp of going away. The TV has a analog and ATSC digital tuner, so I can enjoy over the air TV stations. But the software built in has a TV Guide application for the analog tuner. From time to time the TV Guide application tries to find a signal from the TV Guide broadcast. Since that TV Guide broadcast signal is no longer there, the TV gets confused and will not start up, so the TV is unusable. Usually unplugging the TV for a few hours clears it up. But this time it was over several days that the TV would not start up after being unplugged. Finally I got it back this morning. With the help of a thread on the AVS forum, the Pioneer owners found that with some tricky inputs on the remote, I can access the service menu. I managed to do that over several tries and reset the TV Guide to no longer try to get set-up. This problem seems to happen after a power failure or just randomly over night.

At any rate I was able to get the TV working again for the last hour. So that put off the purchase of a new TV. While a new TV would be great to just eliminate this inconveniencing problem, the panel on this plasma is still producing an impressive quality image. So I hate to waste that!

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Guys, I had a scare this week with my Pioneer plasma. A little reminder about my set. This plasma was built in 2005-2006 and was that era when analog TV was on the cusp of going away. The TV has a analog and ATSC digital tuner, so I can enjoy over the air TV stations. But the software built in has a TV Guide application for the analog tuner. From time to time the TV Guide application tries to find a signal from the TV Guide broadcast. Since that TV Guide broadcast signal is no longer there, the TV gets confused and will not start up, so the TV is unusable. Usually unplugging the TV for a few hours clears it up. But this time it was over several days that the TV would not start up after being unplugged. Finally I got it back this morning. With the help of a thread on the AVS forum, the Pioneer owners found that with some tricky inputs on the remote, I can access the service menu. I managed to do that over several tries and reset the TV Guide to no longer try to get set-up. This problem seems to happen after a power failure or just randomly over night.

At any rate I was able to get the TV working again for the last hour. So that put off the purchase of a new TV. While a new TV would be great to just eliminate this inconveniencing problem, the panel on this plasma is still producing an impressive quality image. So I hate to waste that!

Great news!

I’m attempting to sell my 54” Panasonic plasma from 2009. G series. It works fine but my goal this year is to save and upgrade to UHd. I would keep it but really don’t have the space for a second large panel tv.
I did make a post on the selling forum in on home theater forum. It’s listed on eBay for local pick up here in the Atlanta area. I have no idea how I could / would be able to ship it.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Well, my success may have been short lived. I left the set on for another hour to see if it was OK and it turned itself off and the 12 flashes on the blue LED is back. :(. I’ll try it again after a few hours unplugged.

Good luck with your TV sale Osato.

questrider

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
Well, my success may have been short lived. I left the set on for another hour to see if it was OK and it turned itself off and the 12 flashes on the blue LED is back. :(. I’ll try it again after a few hours unplugged.

Good luck with your TV sale Osato.

So sorry to hear this, Nelson. I hate when technology limits itself to working based on some sort of connection requirement because when that service no longer exists it makes the technology obsolete. This is the perfect case of the entire product works fine except it's looking for something that doesn't exist anymore so it shuts the entire system down. Stupid. :angry:

Last edited:

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hi Brian, yeah, it really stinks that if the TV can’t find the TV Guide, it won’t work!

It still won’t work. If this keeps up, I just may retire it and get something new. :(

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thought I would post an update. The Pioneer seems to be OK again. After spending the night unplugged, the next morning on Tuesday, I plugged it in and it started up ok and was on for an hour before I shut it off and left for work. I left it plugged in so it’s really in stand by mode. That evening I came home it was OK and started up and I left it on a few hours. This morning again it started up like normal. So perhaps it’s OK for now, at least until it tries to hunt for the TV Guide signal.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Maybe the extended downtime allowed the "don't set up TV Guide" setting to fully implement?

I hope so for your sake, Nelson.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Mike! Yes, I was wondering if it’s one of those situations where you install an OS update on the computer and they don’t take affect until you restart the computer.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey guys, thought I’d chime in again. For the past 4 or 5 weeks the blinking blue LED strikes again and my Pioneer just would not reset. It would not turn on. I left it unplugged for a week and a half and no go. I just could not find a way to reset it as far as I could tell. So I got another media receiver box from eBay. It was a pretty good find too as the price was low and the condition was good and the seller said it was all working.

I just hooked it up and did all the settings for the tuner and set everything to factory. It’s working and I’m now watching Star Trek The Motion Picture stream from the Apple TV to the plasma. Looks great! The tuner works too for over the air TV. Now I just need to find my old settings for the picture. The color looks a little off.

I’ll also see if I can get into the secret menu the techs use and see if I can permanently disable the TV Guide which is what I believe caused the problem. Nice to have this plasma panel working again.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I’m glad you found a way to keep it going! :)
source.gif

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :D

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I expect to replace my Pioneer Kuro 5020FD 50” plasma this Summer.

Is there any resale value for it? Should I bring it to HTF for sale? I need to figure out what I’ll do with it. It’s in great condition. No burn in. I might still have original box.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks