Car Woofer box.

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Mike_Ped, Jul 13, 2003.

1. Mike_Ped

Mike_Ped Second Unit

Hi.

I built a sonotube about a year ago and was really pleased with the results.

So recently, I got my hands on a car woofer and amp for really cheap and have deccided to try my hand at building a box.

I've got a few questions for ya:

1) I can't recall the name of the program I used before which allowed me to measure the results a certain box/tube would give. Anyone refer me to the latest and greatest program?

2) In a car trunk, should it be ported or sealed? I don't want a ton of bass...just some support.

3) Anything else you folks can school me on would be great!

Thanx in advance!

Car Woofer: Rockford Fosgate 12" RFP3412 ($10)
    Amp: Rockford Fosgate Punch 150S ($60)

2. Steven Kephart

1. The best free box building program is WinISD Pro alpha. Make sure you download the Pro. You can find it at www.linearteam.org .

2. This really depends on you. The sub they include in WinISD is the 2412. So if they didn't make any changes, then the sub seems to require a very large box (for cars). .707 alignment showed up at 3.6 cubes sealed. So ported might take up too much room. But since you don't want huge output, I would say go sealed.

Good luck with your project.

3. Mark gas

Mark gas Second Unit

go with sealed

here is what rockford recomends

Sealed box -

Recommended Minimum Volume (Cubic feet) - .9

Recommended Maximum Volume (Cubic feet) - 1.75

Ported box -

Recommended Volume (Cubic feet) - 2.0

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/subwoofers/

4. JoeFish

JoeFish Stunt Coordinator

3.6 cubes?!? Jinkies! I'm spoiled by my 12" MTX 7000 series, 1.25 cu ft sealed. Anyway...

2. The reason I chose a sealed box over a ported box in my vehicle is the sound. A ported box will give you a much harder hit for the same subwoofer, but a sealed box will be a tighter, more accurate bass. That's my kind of bass [​IMG] The air behind the woofer acts like a spring, controlling the movment of the cone. Whereas in a ported application, there is much less of a buffer effect, and the cone is free for more excursion.

So, the sealed box will be smaller and more accurate, but you'll lose some db. It's a tradeoff I was more than willing to make, and my box still slams.

-Joe

5. JoeFish

JoeFish Stunt Coordinator

Oh, and if you want to make the box even smaller, you can stuff it full of poly-fill, the stuff they put in pillows. Some folks claim you can make the box 1/2 the cu ft, but I've never tried it myself. My boxes have plexi so you can see the beautiful woofer [​IMG] You'll want to ask around about that first.

-Joe