Car Window Chips- too late?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by John Watson, May 3, 2003.

1. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

About 5 or 6 weeks ago, a truck passed, heard a sharp noise, and a little later noticed a little star shaped chip on the car window?

Think I've heard that this could be a problem, but didn't act, now its got about 4" cracks radiating from 2 of the star point ends. Yikes!

Is it too late for an economical repair? Is the best repair (considering quality and price together) from a dealer in the particular brand of car, or from an auto glass company.

Any experiences?

2. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

Most likely it is too late John. You were ok with just a rock chip but the chip turning into a split more then an inch long means replacement time for the windshield. Best bet is to find a local shop that specializes in Auto glass only. They work with Auto glass day in and day out. Depending on what your deductible is check to see if the auto glass shops have any specials. Couple here locally will pay for your deductable if it is $100 or less and a portion of it at $250.

KyleS

3. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Some places claim to be able to "fix" cracks up to 6 inches. Don't know how successful they are, though.

I'd assume you'll want to visit an auto glass shop. Dealerships may not do glass work (I know mine doesn't, body work either...they're strictly mechanical parts and service).

4. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

Thanks, Kyle and Malcolm, looks like my procrastination may cost me this time. [​IMG]