What's new

Car ventilation musty smell (1 Viewer)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I see there are sprays to use to elminate the musty odor from ventilation but how well do they work? Any recommendations?

Bob Graz

Supporting Actor
Don't know about sprays, but if you have a cabin air filter, it may need replacement.

Jimi C

Screenwriter
If your car has a cabin filter (if its a newer model it probably does) I would suggest changing it.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Thanks. I had to do a Google search to find the info. Of course the manufacturer skimped on including an actual filter.

Jason Kirkpatri

Second Unit
Most of the time, you can use a furnace filter cut to shape in lieu of spending a ridiculous amount of money on a manufacturer's air cabin filter. That's what I do.

DonnyD

Screenwriter
I had this "smell" occur a couple of times and found the best fix to be making sure you leave the ac dial on a "ventilation" setting while parked. Leaving the dial on any setting that does not allow ventilation while parked allows the musty smell to build due to moisture left in the system ducts .......

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
I was just told the same thing. Once in a while, disable "recirculate" to allow the car's airconditioning to intake fresh air from outside, presumably when you're not stuck in a traffic jam, and preferably when it's relatively cool outside anyway.

The funny thing was my new(ish) car has developed that nasty musty smell in the 10 months I've had it, whereas my previous car never really developed it even in the nearly 5 years I had it.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
2003 Ford Focus. Bought a filter for it today. I've had musty moments since I owned but it usually clears out. This last time was especially bad though, I think because I hadn't driven it much and the weather has been nice enough to just go with the windows rolled down. The filter should be good for my allergies.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
there is a product called "frigi-fresh" that can help get rid of the musty odor. You run the AC in the "fresh" positon, not recirculate, and spray it into the grillework at the base of the windshield. If the car has no "fresh-recirc" control use "AC" instead of "Max AC".

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob
We let our car sit for a few days and a mouse took up residence in the vents. For the rest of the life of the car, it smelled like mouse piss every time you turned on the vents. Absolutely nothing worked, including pulling out the vents and hand-cleaning with Orange Clean.

JamesED

Second Unit
I also have a 2003 Focus. I immediately purchased a cabin filter after I got the car. I don't see why the American model saves a few dollars by skimping on a filter. There is a piece of plastic inserted to fill up the spot instead.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I didn't even know they had skimped on a filter until I looked into it. Now that I know that, the level of dust in my car makes more sense. That plastic thing is a joke, though I'm trying to find another use for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks