Car trouble - need help - weird idling problem...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason Hughes, Feb 28, 2002.

1. Jason Hughes

Jason Hughes Supporting Actor

Jason Hughes
    Help!

I am having some problems with my P.O.S. 92 Cavalier Z24. When ever you come to a stop, the car is doing some strange things while idling. Basically the RPM gauge keeps revving up and down, going a little bit over and under the 1 x 1000 mark. When you accelerate, it feels like it is going to stall when you first hit the gas (and sometimes does). Once you get past that initial stall/near-stall (which you get past very quickly, around when the car is going 2-3 MPH), the car runs smooth as ever, no problems with the transmission (no slipping when it changes gears). Runs perfect. But every time you come to a stop the same problems happen. FWIW, I just had a new ignition module put in. Before that went bad, I never had this problem, even on a cold, cold day.

Is this something a tune-up would correct? I have not had one done in years. Or is it going to be another wad of cash spent that I don't have?

Thanks a lot for any responses. I know it is hard to describe things of this nature over the internet, but any suggestions as to what the problem could be will be greatly appreciated.

No X-box for now...sniff...

2. Jared_B

Jared_B Supporting Actor

If you just had the ignition put it, maybe they didn't adjust the timing properly. I would take it back to whomever did the work and tell them exactly that. If they insist that the timing is correct, take it to another shop that will give you a free estimate.

Jared

3. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

Throttle position sensor... probably. Makes it surge just like you described. Good luck.

4. Jason Hughes

Jason Hughes Supporting Actor

Jason Hughes

5. Jesse Leonard

Jesse Leonard Second Unit

I had the same thing happen to me on my Cavalier. It is a sticking lock-up torque converter solenoid problem. I would almost promise you that this is your problem. Cavaliers are very prone to this problem I have come to find out. It cost me $200 parts and labor to get it fixed.

Hope that helps.

6. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

Throttle position sensors (TPS) aren't expensive, it's just a potentiometer (think volume control on your stereo) connected to the throttle, that tells the computer when you're stepping on the gas. If it stumbles at/near idle when stepping on the gas, it's sending bad information to the computer (think scratchy volume control!) and the computer injects the wrong amount of fuel to the engine.

You can replace it yourself with a screwdriver.

Does the problem happen when you're in Park? When you rev the engine in Park, does it stumble at first and then run fine? If so, it's probably the TPS.

If it only happens when in gear, then it could be that solenoid Jesse mentioned.

KJP

7. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

I had a similar thing with my car recently, and I only had a cracked vaccum line & a clogged PCV valve. The parts cost less than $5, so maybe there's hope for that Xbox yet.

-Dan

8. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

Other things to check along with what others have suggested would be the O2 sensor, EGR valve on the manifold, plugged catalytic converter, plugged or inhibited fuel injectors, and the possibility of a faulty computer. With computer controlled cars it is worth the time and money to take it to a reputable shop and have them run a diagnostics on the computer ($50) this will most likely pinpoint the faulty part.

9. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

The "vroom, putt, vroom, putt" thing is usually the TPS, like Donny said.

Along those lines, it might be time to change the simple stuff if you haven't lately- air filter, PCV valve, fuel filter, etc.