Car Trouble: Need Battery Help

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lee Scoggins, Aug 9, 2002.

1. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Well, I had a first today. I went to start my car and as I turned on the ignition - no power and semi-loud explosion from the hood area. It seems my battery blew its caps but there did not look to be any fluid anywhere - the caps were not disheveled. I have a Lexus ES300 with about 60,000 miles and I have never had any hint of trouble and I just had it maintanenced at my long-term dealer.
    I have never encountered such a problem before: do I just change the battery or is there something else involved?
    If I buy a battery what's a good brand or does it matter?
    How do I dispose of the battery without getting any acid or fluid on me?
    I have always maintained the car perfectly and never missed a service trip. Have always had good luck.
    Any help is greatly appreciated. [​IMG]

2. Ken Garrison

Ken Garrison Supporting Actor

The battery in my mom's Concorde needs to be replaced too. Leave the radio on for about 10 minutes and it runs the battery down so much, the car won't even try to start. My Toyota Van has a Toyota Brand battery and I've accidently left my headlights on for an hour and it started right up. One word of advice. I hate them fucking batteries with the poles on the sides. They are a bitch to jump start. Non of our cars have that, so that's good. If your Lexus has that, either get the connectors changed, or get the kind of battery with the poles on the top as well as the sides to connect to. That way, you can jump start it when you need to. The batteries with just the poles on the side are a real PITA to jump start. Not much for the jumpers to grip to.

3. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Thanks Ken, but I don't think this is a jump start issue. I think the battery is dead and buried.

4. Bruce Chang

Bruce Chang Second Unit

Get a multimeter and check the battery's voltage. if it's below 11v by itself it's done or needs recharging. The Optima is a great battery and doesn't need maintinence. I've been using my red top optima for 6 years on my Jeep. I drive the battery pretty hard with my stereo system, winch, low idle driving (offroad).

5. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    I spoke with the Lexus dealer and got all worked out. Thanks for your help. This is the first thing of any kind that has happened in 6 years and it was just an inconvenience.
    [​IMG]

6. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

glad you worked it out, I was going to warn you about the radio hehe
    my step mom's ES300 needed a new battery, best to take it to a dealer to get the radio working again if you had changed it yourself, the anti theft on the radio only gives you like 5 tries to unlock it before game over [​IMG]