car title question, need advice

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Micah Cohen, Mar 22, 2006.

1. Micah Cohen

Micah Cohen Screenwriter

OK... Let's just say that I found a car. And, I found the car's title. The title has a little area that says, "Lien Release," and you're supposed to sign that space in order to sign the car over to someone else; to transfer title. (Correct?)

But, this title -- which I "found" -- is not "signed over."

So, now I have this car, and this car title, but the title is not signed over to me, and the car has no plates on it... And I sort of can't find the keys to the car. But that's another story.

What would you do?

MC

2. Bob Graz

Bob Graz Supporting Actor

When buying a used car and transfering title, lien release applies if the original owner had a loan (lien). If so you need a lien release to demonstrate that the lien was satisfied for transfer of title to the new owner (you). Does the title show a lien on it? If so, you need a lien release (a letter from the finance company stating that the lien has been satisfied). If no lien appears on the title you shoud be good to go with the owner simply signing title over to you.

3. Micah Cohen

Micah Cohen Screenwriter

NEW DEVELOPMENT (since I see that I've stumped you all):

The title I have is not the title to the van.

So, I have a van with no plates. I have no title. I have no keys.

What to do?

MC

4. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

you... found.... a van?
    sounds shady.

5. Micah Cohen

Micah Cohen Screenwriter

Slim Shady, my friend.

Yep. I found a van.

In the back yard of a house I just purchased, actually. Close the deal, get the keys, arrive to change the locks and find... a van.

I've always wanted a van. This is a custom Chevy, a "Gladiator" or something. It's locked. I don't have the keys, tho they may be in the house. (The guy left lots of personal stuff and junk in the house. I have to go poke around and clean it out.) Maybe I can use a slim-jim to get into it. Hopefully, there's not a body in there, you know?

Who leaves a van? (For that matter, who leaves personal items like wedding picture albums and clothing and cell phones and a kitchen full of stuff?)

Anyway... So, I have a van. What do I do? [​IMG]

MC

6. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    Wedding pictures? Sounds like they just divorced, either he or she got the house, and had to sell as he/she can't afford, or doesn't want, to stay in the house any more. Although the clothing et al suggests someone was in a real hurry to move away. I hope your title to the house is iron-clad -- otherwise it might be the ex-husband (or wife) sold in a hurry and wanted to vanish, and the other ex-spouse might come looking for him/her some day...

7. DougR

DougR Second Unit

Have it DUSTED for Prints !!!![​IMG]

Have the Cops come out and run a "VIN" Check on it....may be a Stolen Vehicle or one that was involved in a Crime? [​IMG]

8. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Man, this is like straight out of Grand Theft Auto...

You see any body outlines or ammo shells??????

Get the VIN, maybe even have somebody do a carfax on it just for kicks...

Micah got his own shag wagon now! [​IMG]

Jay

9. Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn Screenwriter

You should probably contact the MVA. I'd get a good lawyer and have my affairs in order first.... you never know the van's history... or what's inside....

Hopefully you haven't gone in the garage or basement yet [​IMG]

Since the van is titled separately than the house, doesn't seem like ownership transferred, even though you have possession. After the MVA does a history check, I would expect there would be some sort of waiting period for the original owner to make a claim. Maybe they'll put it in the paper under one of those "unclaimed properties" notices ?

Good Luck !

10. Micah Cohen

Micah Cohen Screenwriter

Weird, huh?

No worries about clear title to the house; I got that. It was a clean, legal sale and both the husband and wife signed the deed of the house over to me. I have clear title, and title insurance. (And, all personal prop left on the property becomes mine as well.) No bodies in the basement or anyplace. The van is just sitting there, locked, no plates. (Don't know what's in it.) Sometimes, it seems, people just leave personal stuff. I don't know why.

My own SHAG WAGON! YES!

Today I'll go back over there, start putting stuff in garbage bags, empty drawers, search for van keys, etc.

As I may have said, I have found a lot of stuff in vacant houses. But I've never been left with... a van. [​IMG]

MC

11. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Does it look like this:

[​IMG]

Jay

12. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

Hoping for regular updates, Micah. I'm really primed for a mystery/serial to follow on HTF...it has been awhile since we've had one of these to follow (russian brides, budding romances, et al).

13. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    How about all three?

Maybe there is a murdered Russian Bride somewhere on a false floor of the mystery van? (That micah falls in love with). yeah, now we can add necrophilia to this bizzarro flick). [​IMG]

Jay

14. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

Actually, somebody here in Paducah is driving around a perfect Mystery Machine replica...

15. Jeff Savage

Jeff Savage Second Unit

Contact the local DMV to perform a title search using the VIN of the van. That should kick out any strangeness (you may find that the owners of the house are not the owners of the van). Tell the DMV that the Van was abandoned on a property that you purchased and that you want to take ownership of the Van.

Usually you just have to make reasonable effort to find the owners. Sometimes you can simply place a lien against the Van (for "storage fees" or something) and after 90 days you can start to file for a transfer of ownership.

Laters,
    Jeff

16. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

If it doesn't have yellow shag - on the dash - the it ain't no shaggin' wagon. 8 track is manditory. [​IMG]

17. Micah Cohen

Micah Cohen Screenwriter

Jeff (Savage), you are correct. All that stuff is correct.

My title guy called the owner's wife, and she said that the van was donated to a charity and they are supposed to come tow it away on Saturday. Oh well. So much for my shag van.

While I was cleaning out the prop today I found paperwork noting a recent county violation for having an untagged vehicle on the property. And I found an angry feral cat living under the back yard deck, but that's another story. If I could figure out how to attach an image, I'd post a pic of the van sitting in the back yard. It's not too shaggy, to be honest.

MC

18. BrianW

BrianW Cinematographer

Brian
    Both Jeffs are right. The lien is a great idea, not necessarily to get money if the owner is found, but to make an effort to find the owner and to demonstrate possession as a requirement before filing for transfer of ownership.

So put a lien on the van and get yourself an 8-track, pronto.

19. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

Now I have that Sammy Kershaw tune going through my head - thanks Micah!

"...and that's alright by me..." [​IMG]