Car Subwoofer

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by agendrano, Aug 3, 2003.

1. agendrano

agendrano Extra

I have an extra Boston Acoustic 12" subwoofer that I have taken off my car (use to have two of them on my trunk) to regain some space on my trunk.

Can I use this driver for my home theater (I have a 250 watt plate amp)? I have all the driver parameters to compute enclosure size, tuning frequency, etc. Or are these drivers designed solely for automotive use?

I have a very small listening area, 4 meters X 5 meters.

2. Jake K

Jake K Stunt Coordinator

3. agendrano

agendrano Extra

Boston Acoustics 12.5LF 4ohms (ProSeries)

Fs 31Hz
    Vas 2.97 ft3 (84 liters)
    Qts 0.57
    Qes 0.61
    Qms 9.6
    Xmax 8.5mm

4. Dan_Gtp

Dan_Gtp Extra

Well in my own experience and humble opinion. I see no reason that a car audio sub, even one designed for car use, cant provide a moderately enjoyable HT experience.

In my case I had an MTX 12" Thunder 5000 series sub. It was in a 1.5 cu ft ported box. 4" port. It was of course tuned quite high as in the car audio world, I forget but guess ~35hz. When I got a diferent setup, that small car audio box took LFE duties in my HT as my Tempest sonosub was being built. Now a 35hz tuning point is ludacris for one of us designing an HT applicable sub, this does a decent job to hold you off until you can get something later. I'm sure you could build a box with a tuning point at least a little closer tot he 20hz area we aim for.

Basically what I'm saying is that if you want something to hold you over, and thats all you have, it's obviously better than nothing. Even if thats all you ever have.

If you have aspirations and fundings for a serious setup to handle LFE, like they said we'd need the numbers. Though usually most car subs wont do. usually.

5. Jake K

Jake K Stunt Coordinator

The Fs is too high and X-max is too low to be a really good HT subwoofer. But it's better than nothing for now, if you plan on getting a Shiva or something.

6. agendrano

agendrano Extra

Thanks for the comments, I think I would try to build a box using the driver while I am looking for a suitable driver.

It is quite hard to locate a suitable driver here in the Philippines, most of the subwoofer drivers available are automotive ones.

7. Jake K

Jake K Stunt Coordinator

Can you not order a driver from Adire Audio? How much would it cost for you to have a tempest shipped to the Philippines? Even if you have to pay much more it may still be a good deal because a suitable car audio driver might be quite expensive.

8. Isaac C

Isaac C Stunt Coordinator

An Adire Audio Shiva Mk-III in a 142-liter/18Hz vented-box is really something to be heard and experienced; especially when compared to 'car subwoofers.' Its bass reproduction just seems effortless and especially undistorted. Ordering one and shipping it to the Philippines may seem a bit too expensive, but that higher level of HT enjoyment it can bring is more than worth the cost [​IMG]

Regards,
    Isaac

9. John Warner

John Warner Extra

Agendrano, I have a 10" Boston Acoustic Pro Series which I'm putting in my car. I've heard it in a simple non-ported box for music listening to pre-hear the sub a few times before I purchased it, and given the right box and power, in my opinion it will be fine for a room smaller than 20x18, any bigger and you may want to look into a BA subwoofer for home-use. BA subs are for optimum performance, and creating that optimum performance in a room instead of a car can be quite meticulous.