Car Subs For Home Audio?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Richard Carlsen, Mar 25, 2004.

1. Richard Carlsen

Richard Carlsen Auditioning

I WAS RECOMENDED TO THIS SITE BECUASE OF THE KNOWLEDGE PEOPLE HAVE ON THIS FORUM...ANYWHOOO...I HAVE A BOOKSHELF SYSTEM...ITS CALLED "JVC GIGATUBE" AND I WANTED TO ADD ANOTHER SUBWOOFER TO IT...CAN I JUST USE A CAR SUBWOOFER SYSTEM..IF IT IS ALREADY IN THE BOX..BECUASE I NOTICED IT HAS THE 2 SAME PLUG IN'S IN THE BACK OF IT.??

2. Mike SJ

Mike SJ Supporting Actor

WHAT TYPE OF CONNECTION. AND DOES THIS EXTRA SUB HAVE ITS OWN AM AND DO YOU HAVE A PRE-AMP OUT FOR YOUR SUB FROM THE BOOKSHELF SYSTEM?

3. KellyR

KellyR Agent

Sounds to me like you might be able to rig it up so that sound will come out of the woofer, but I can almost guarantee that it won't be separated into a purely bass signal. Also, it probably won't sound good since I'm assuming that you don't have a DC to AC converter and an amp powering your subs. Your better off not tinkering with it.

P.S. the caps lock is 1/2 inch to the right of your pinky. It makes things a lot easier to read when the caps lock is turned off. Thanks.

4. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    The drivers can usually be reused but the enclosure will not be optimal for HT use. Car subs depend on cabin gain to extend the response of the sub. In a large room, you will just get a lot of 50Hz bass and no LFE extension.

You will not be able to use the car amplifier unless you get a AC-DC converter (a.k.a. not worthwhile). You can pick up a decent HT plate amp for around $100 (partsexpress, etc.).

5. Tyler Cookson

Tyler Cookson Stunt Coordinator

Ha, funny, I sell those at Circuit City. Its not actually called the Giga Tube. The people at JVC I suppose decided to re-name the port from the woofers on the unit the "Giga Tubes" which has always made me question JVC, considering they are merely ports.

and each speaker unit already has one "subwoofer" with the "Giga Tube" connected to it.

It uses multiple amplifiers. The one for the "subwoofers" is 90 watts x 2 rated at 10%THD into i believe 6 ohms. So, even if you could take the 20AWG speaker wire out of the part where it goes into the speaker cabinet, I would highly reccomend not to run a car subwoofer with it.

6. Richard Carlsen

Richard Carlsen Auditioning

thanks guys yea im use to typeing in all caps..just a habbit.i dont know what kind of connection the sub has or thats on my sterio..i dont really know all the stuff on sterios..so u guys r basically saying dont get the sub becuase it wont sound good??

7. Tyler Cookson

Tyler Cookson Stunt Coordinator

yes, do not attempt to hook up a sub to that. It already has built in "subwoofers". because the power source does not provide supple power to power a car subwoofer (the 90 watts is rated in an exaggerated peak power). Just leave it be my friend, leave it be.