What's new

Car sub in house? (1 Viewer)

Geckogeek

Auditioning
Real Name
Joe Vanoverbeke
Does anyone know the difference between a car sub (MTX 6000 10") and a home theater sub? Is there a big difference in sound quality or something? I thought about building a sub for my house and happen to have a MTX sub in my closet.

Thanks, Joe

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Hi Joe.

A car woofer was designed for the volume of space in a car and the electrical requirements from an automotive power system. While it IS a subwoofer, the target environment is very different so I'm not sure the results would be good.

There is a lot of science involved in driver-size, enclosure and room size for a sub. The actual driver may not be the most important (or expensive) part.

Building your own sub is a good way to get a great subwoofer at a budget price. (Tom & Ron of SVS started out helping people design their own subs.) But you might want to try a kit first. Check out some of the DIY subs from www.partsexpress.com or do an internet search.

Hope this helps.

HT-EXT

Agent
Real Name
Joe Eaton
I think as long as you build the proper enclosure any subwoofer can accommodate your home audio needs. I have used car subs and home audio subs with good results. I say build it and "BOOM". Here are some places to get you started with the build. (diy-subwoofers and Decware) Good Luck!

HT-EXT

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The Theile/Small parameters determine how well it will perform in a home environment. Yes, a lot of car subs will work fine but a few have parameters that will only work in a car. I'm using a pair of Cerwin Vega V-Max 15's (a couple of years old). The new version of the V-Max is more suited for a car only.

-Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks