Car sub in house?

Geckogeek

Auditioning
Real Name
Joe Vanoverbeke
Does anyone know the difference between a car sub (MTX 6000 10") and a home theater sub? Is there a big difference in sound quality or something? I thought about building a sub for my house and happen to have a MTX sub in my closet.

Thanks, Joe

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Hi Joe.

A car woofer was designed for the volume of space in a car and the electrical requirements from an automotive power system. While it IS a subwoofer, the target environment is very different so I'm not sure the results would be good.

There is a lot of science involved in driver-size, enclosure and room size for a sub. The actual driver may not be the most important (or expensive) part.

Building your own sub is a good way to get a great subwoofer at a budget price. (Tom & Ron of SVS started out helping people design their own subs.) But you might want to try a kit first. Check out some of the DIY subs from www.partsexpress.com or do an internet search.

Hope this helps.

HT-EXT

Agent
Real Name
Joe Eaton
I think as long as you build the proper enclosure any subwoofer can accommodate your home audio needs. I have used car subs and home audio subs with good results. I say build it and "BOOM". Here are some places to get you started with the build. (diy-subwoofers and Decware) Good Luck!

HT-EXT

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The Theile/Small parameters determine how well it will perform in a home environment. Yes, a lot of car subs will work fine but a few have parameters that will only work in a car. I'm using a pair of Cerwin Vega V-Max 15's (a couple of years old). The new version of the V-Max is more suited for a car only.

-Robert

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
els