Car Stolen, Need Suggestions

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Evan S, Dec 13, 2004.

1. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

I was in Boston on Business last week and my car was ripped off. Thankfully there was nothing of material value in the car and I was considering getting rid of it anyway so this might be a blessing in disguise. I haven't finalized what I will be receiving from insurance, but I figure it to be in the neighborhood of 8 grand and it was all paid off so that 8 grand will represent a new down payment on my next car.

I am looking for suggestions from owners of Nissan Maxima's, Volkswagon Passat, Mazda 6, and Honda Accord owners and cars in that class for suggestions. My previous car was an Audi A4, but I didn't feel in the long run it was the car for me. I was constantly worried about repairs and had numerous things (although nothing major) go wrong with the car through the years. I always felt like I was waiting for the hammer to fall with that car so like I said, this might be the best thing for me in the long run.

Thanks!

2. Elinor

Elinor Supporting Actor

Of those you listed I certainly like Accord the best (currently drive an Acura). Then in order from there, Mazda, Nissan, and VW.

I feel like American Honda, which handles Acura issues, is one of the most honorable companies I have ever dealt with. They really go the extra mile for customer satisfaction and assurance of quality.

3. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    I own both both a 4th gen ('95 model) and a 6th gen ('04 model) Maxima. The '95 has 155k miles and has been relatively maintenance free. Last summer the alternator went out. That's been the only big break-down. The original struts need to be replaced but I'm surprised that lasted this long. The '04 models are a complete re-design and there were some bugs on the first few batches off the production line. Mine was relatively bug free and the minor problems have been handled by the dealer under warranty. My wife's only complaint is the stiff suspension on the SE model. I like it. It has power to spare and a lot of nice features. You can read more about it at Maxima.Org.

-Robert

4. Tim Fennell

Tim Fennell Stunt Coordinator

A VW Passat is mostly the same car as an A4. I have a 2001 and have not found it to be the most reliable car. If you had problems with your A4 I would expect about the same from a Passat.

On the other hand the Passat wagon which I have has some nice features such as 30+ mpg and cost around $12K for a 3 y.o. used model.

Be aware that VW has a 10yr/100K warrantee that goes to 5yr/50K when you are the 2nd owner. Not that you are buying used, but FYI

Tim

5. Julian Reville

Julian Reville Screenwriter

How long do you have to wait before the car is declared gone forever? I remember when I was a kid, my mom's Fairlane 500 was ripped off....I had a GTO already picked out when it was recovered. [​IMG]

6. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

The insurance company said the waiting period is 72 hours, which will be here in about 2 hours time. I expect to hear word tomorrow as to what I will receive for my vehicle and I assume I will get a stipend toward the use of a rental vehicle while I shop for a new ride.

7. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    Subaru has a lot of cars in your price range. I'd stick with their 4 cylinder offerings (the 6 cylinder is still fairly new and unproven). I've owned 3 Subarus ('85, '89, and a 2000) and have been pleased with each. Subarus also have decent AWD and ABS systems on all their cars (good for NE winters). Good luck on your car search...

8. Phil_L

Phil_L Second Unit

Hello from Manchester Evan, we're neighbors! I have owned a 97 Accord since new and have had very good luck with it. Still loving it after 94K miles. Just bought an Acura TL, love that too. My mother has had a 97 Maxima since new and also loves it. The Passat has had some reliability problems of late. The Mazda is a nice car, though my friend got a lemon. Isolated case however.

PS: Forgot to say that I am sorry your car was stolen. Can't be a fun experience even if you did want to trade it in soon.

9. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Cool, we should hook up and get drunk or something.

--
    H

10. Phil_L

Phil_L Second Unit

Sweet, let's go to the Wood n Tap! [​IMG]

11. Seth_L

Seth_L Screenwriter

I have a 2002 Maxima SE and it's a great car. I really like it. I'm planning to drive it to the wheels fall off. [​IMG]

However, I would not buy another Nissan. I have not dealt with a good Nissan dealer yet. Maybe your local Nissan dealer is a lot better than the ones around here.

12. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Re: Subaru.

Yeah, if you want a real sleeper rather than the usual Japanese sedan offerings, the Legacy 2.5GT is a pretty sharp vehicle. You wont see many of those around since Subaru tends to push their wagon offerings...

Jay

13. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

We have a ’02 Acura TL. It is by far the best car we have ever had—I think that it strikes a great compromise among luxury, performance and price. The Accord would be a good choice if the Acura is a bit too much.

14. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

"the Legacy 2.5GT is a pretty sharp vehicle" Great car, but Iprefer the Legacy from about 5 years ago. I find the redesign a little bland.

Brent