What's new

Car Speaker Question (1 Viewer)

Dave Gorman

Supporting Actor
I'm posting here because the Speakers area seemed to pertain to Home Audio only (which is only appropriate, I suppose).

The speaker built into the driver's side door of my 2001 Honda Civic 2-door has started in with this annoying sound I'm not sure how to describe -- kind of a buzzing, rattling, wheezing, vibrating, emphysemic sound when music is playing. It started out as an every once in a while thing that would come and go. Now it's pretty much a constant thing.

I suppose it needs to be replaced. Since it's built into the door, will I need to win the lottery before having the speaker replaced? Any ideas what something like that might cost? And where would I need to go for that? Would I need to go to the dealer, or would Best Buy be able to do it?

Any advice?

brentl

Senior HTF Member
My guess is the surround has completely given up, not unexpected after 5 or 6 years.

Just do a little search online for something like "6th gen Civic door panel removal", it should be pretty simple, and chances are the speakers are 6 1/2" drivers, pick up a set you like and away you go.

Take your time and give yourself 45 minutes a side, last thing you want to do is just rip things apart and damage something.

Brent

DougR

Second Unit

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If you want to spend the money, go to a local car audio shop and have them do it. That doesn't guarantee that it will be done correctly. Just quickly. If you are the DIY type but still not sure about what to do, then order from Crutchfield. They will send you the speakers, the appropriate adapters and complete instructions for removing your door panels. Removing a door panel usually takes a screw driver, a panel popper and 20 minutes. The second door will go much quicker now that you know what to expect. Test the new speaker BEFORE putting the door panel back on.

-Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abnerzhu
Recent bookmarks