What's new

Car shopping: replacement for Honda Accord Coupe? (1 Viewer)

Brett_H

Second Unit
My fiancee's current lease expires in May and as such, it's car shopping time. I'm a car guy, but most of my knowledge is either in VW's or things we can't currently afford (Audi's, BMW's, etc.) Currently, she has a silver Honda Accord EX Coupe (4 cylinder, cloth interior). She'd like to find a car like this:
  • Two door
  • "Sporty" (This will probably be our last car before we have to get the family car... an Audi S4 Avant if I have any say...)
  • Safety
  • Leather interior
  • Alloy wheels
  • Payments around $300/ month.
I read an article in yesterday's paper saying how all the decent lease deals have pretty much dried up since they're becoming less and less profitable with the glut of off-lease vehicles in the used car market. Does anyone know if this is true? If she were to simply stay with another Honda Accord, should we expect to be able to skip all the upfront costs? (I'm NOT interested in sparking a leasing vs. buying debate)
So what other cars should we be looking at. She doesn't really like the Toyota Avalon, although it's similar in shape to the Accord. She does like the smallest of the Infinity's (J30?), even though it's a 4 door. Any chance of getting one of these for around $300/month?
Thanks,
-Brett

Jared_B

Supporting Actor
Hey Brett,

I know people that could get new Ferraris for $300 a month...

Why don't you figure out how far $300 a month will go for you? We don't know how much you are putting down, or how good your credit is. Narrow it down to a price range, and people would be able to help you better.

I would recommend the BMW 325Ci. Very comfortable and sporty. However, they start at about $30k - which means a 36 month lease with $2500 down will run around $440/mo. Used 325s and 323s can be found in the mid $20s, and they still have the modern body style.

The Nissan Altima is also very sporty and affordable (mid 20s, I think).

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
If you are intent on purchasing a two door coupe, your options will be limited. There are not many two door models being marketed in the Accord price range. Toyota makes the Celica, which may fit your criteria.

If your fiancee is willing to consider a four door, I would recommend a Nissan Altima or Toyota Camry. There are direct competitors with the Accord. We just purchased an Altima 3.5SE, and it's a great car. It's replacing a '93 Camry V6 XLE which has been an incredible car for the past 9.5 years for us.

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
How about:
1. Altima 3.5SE.
2. Acura RSX Type S.
3. New Mini Cooper S.
each with decent power (240, 200, 165hp, respectively) and 6 spd trans. The Mini Cooper recorded a 67.6mph through the slalom, besting just about every car out there (including the Ferrari 360 Modena, Vette Z06, etc).

Brett_H

Second Unit
Jared,

Let's say 20-25K for a price range, as little down as possible (we're saving for our wedding). Credit? decent but not outstanding.

We'd (she'd) strongly prefer to avoid used. Needs to be an automatic, but we're flexible on the two door requirement. The Mini would be an ideal car for me... but she doesn't like it.

Hope that helps narrow down the opinions!

-Brett.

MikeM

Screenwriter
How about (drum roll please) another Honda Accord Coupe for 2003? :)
The reason I suggest this is that the Accord is changing their body style for next year's Accord model, and depending on what it looks like, you may really like it. I believe they are slated to be out in mid-year too.

CarlS

Stunt Coordinator
I would second the Acura RSX. It is an excellent handling car, should be under $24k, can be had with an auto, and since it's a Acura should be pretty reliable.

Brett_H

Second Unit
Mike, we considered the 2003 Accord, but her current lease is up next month. I don't think we'll be able to swing the 2003...

I like the look of the Acura RSX. We'll have to look into that one!

-Brett.

Jared_B

Supporting Actor
Ok Brett,

With that, I would also recommend the RSX and the Mini. The Jetta is also a nice car in that range.

Congrats on the wedding!

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
How about the new Hyundai Tiburon GT?? They have a 2.7L V6 engine, 6 Speed Manual(they also have automatics), sunroof, leather, blah blah....cost less than $20k and they come with a 100,000 Mile/10yr warranty. They are very sharp and reliable don't let the Hyundai name scare you. Check it out here:
http://www.hyundaiusa.com/

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
Actually, yeah, you could go Internet Geek-Chic with a new Jetta.:) Actually, I do kinda like 'em, but people here definitely test the cliche.
This is a fine opportunity to teach her to drive stick. Car, I mean.;) Seriously, though, if you prefer the manual, now is the time for her to learn, before you both get old and set in your married ways. The RSX Type S makes beautiful music near its 8000rpm redline.
I've owned an Acura TL Type S for nearly a year now. It is an outstanding car. We are seriously considering an RSX as a 2nd/commuter car to replace our '95 (drum roll, please) Accord EX.
Best of luck to you.
Todd

Brett_H

Second Unit
All,

About the Jetta: that's pretty much not an option since I already own a GTI and she would like something a little different.

I've tried teaching her stick, and while she will eventually learn it, she has a bit of a commmute and the idea of handling a stick in traffic is not something hat appeals to her. Trust me, the RSX type S sounds nice, but I think the S might be overkill. At any rate, we'll be sure to check them out this weekend. About the Tiburon, it looks like a good car to me, but she was turned off by the styling. To each his (her) own, I suppose.

-Brett.

Max Knight

Supporting Actor
How about a Subaru Impreza? The WRX is sweet, but at the peak of your price range. You could get a used Impreza 2.5RS or 2.2L for your price range and get $300 a month with little down (that's what I did).

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
I'm not sure the Impreza's come with leather interiors (although they are great cars). However, I would definitely look at the other Subaru's out there (very high safety rating, 2.5L version will move out, etc.)...

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Scott said:

If you are intent on purchasing a two door coupe, your options will be limited. There are not many two door models being marketed in the Accord price range. Toyota makes the Celica, which may fit your criteria.
Doesn't Toyota still make the Camry Solara? That was Toyota's answer for the current Accord coupe design, which was introduced in '98.

Brett,

My vote would be for an Accord coupe. I don't know what you would pay to lease one now, but look into it. I bought an Accord LX-V6 coupe last summer and absolutely love it. It replaced a '97 Accord LX-V6 sedan that I had leased, which I was also very happy with. The Accords are great cars.

Just my $0.02, but I am not a fan of the Acura RSX simply because it is small. For the money, I feel the Accord is the better buy. That's just me.

Brett_H

Second Unit
Mike, Thanks for the suggestion, but we've already got one GTI 1.8T (Link Removed) and she doesn't want to be a copycat.
She really likes the Infiniti G20. Anyone know offhand what the residual value of those would be on a lease? Is 55% of MSRP after 36 months a good ballpark number? I'm trying to gather some "ammunition" for a trip to the dealer this weekend and this would help a lot...
Thanks,
-Brett.

Eric M Jones

Second Unit
I'm throwing in another vote for the New Nissan Altima. It's everything you listed except 4doors which you stated may not matter. If you haven't seen the new Altima check it out. The old Altima was a Grandma car, the new one is a sporty head turner! I'd buy one in a second if I was in the market.

If she likes the G20... she'll love the Altima.

-EJ

Jody C Robins

Stunt Coordinator
How about a Mustang GT? Faster than anything else mentioned, "sporty looking", 2-door, near the bottom of your budget.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks