Car question: Audi vs VW

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by LDfan, May 22, 2004.

1. LDfan

LDfan Supporting Actor

I've always heard that the VW passat is the same as the Audi A4. However the A4 seems to be much smaller. Are they really built on the same platform?

Thanks
    Jeff

2. MarkWC

MarkWC Stunt Coordinator

They are, in fact, the same platform.

However, I believe the following share the same:

jetta - A4
    Passat - A6

3. Chris Derby

Chris Derby Second Unit

4. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

The Jetta's platform is identified as A4 however that's an internal identification, it is not the same as the Audi A4. The A is the platform, the 4 indicates it's the fourth generation of that platform. The A4 platform is used for the Golf/GTI, Beetle, Jetta, Audi TT, Audi A3, and some other cars made by Seat and/or Skoda, two brands not sold in the US. The Audi A4 and the Passat are on the B6 platform I believe, although the Passat may still be considered a B5.5, I haven't kept up on VWs since I sold mine last August.

This is the same as saying the Pontiac Grand Prix and Chevy Impala are the same car, and so on. Fundamentally they are based on the same frame, engine, and some other components, but each brand puts some different stuff into it and the final product can vary significantly between brands.

5. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy
    Not to mention, Audis are four wheel drive. As far as I can remember, only the Passat, R32 and Tourag from VW are fourwheel drive, (not counting their truck/van models.)

6. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

Some Audis are 2wd, and in other countries more VWs are available with all wheel drive.

Here the primary distinction between Audi and VW is just the overall level of refinement. Usually Audi has better engines, but that's not always the case.

7. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

The current Passat is based on the same basic platform as the previous generation A4. However, the Passat is about 8" longer with lots more interior room. They are very different cars, my wife and I have owned both. The Jetta is not related to the A4.

8. Sami Kallio

Sami Kallio Screenwriter

Engines are the same but usually Audi gets the new designs a little earlier. I have owned both A4 and Passat, it's about what you prefer. VW has a lot more room and a much bigger car feel to it. Audi is somewhat more "luxurious" but not much. It's sort of like Nissan/Infinity, Toyota/Lexus, Honda/Acura, an Infinity is a Nissan (also literally) with a different nameplate and more refined interior.