1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Car MD?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff, Apr 30, 2002.

1. Jeff

Jeff Supporting Actor

Can anyone tell me which of the following Sony MD car decks is the best? I know the 680 does MDLP, but I don't need that feature.

Do they pretty much perform the same, sound wise?

MDX-CA680X

MDX-C7900

MDX-C6500X

Thanks!

Jeff

2. Marc Rochkind

Marc Rochkind Second Unit

3. Kris McLaughlin

Kris McLaughlin Stunt Coordinator

Jeff,

I have had the MDX-C7900 for over 3 years now, it is a great unit. I am no audiophile, but it sounds good to me and is really convenient paired with my CDX-727 ten-disc CD changer.

Cheers,

4. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

I've had a MDX-C5970 (an older version of the 7900) for a couple years, and it's worked great for me. The sound quality is fine, though I can't really tell since I haven't replaced my factory speakers yet. I have it paired with a CDX-737 10 disc trunk-mounted CD changer.

If you want the best sound quality, especially with aftermarket speakers, you'll want to add an external amp.

KJP

5. Paul D Young

Paul D Young Second Unit

I want a car minidisc player with Minidisc and CD in a single head unit. I've seen Cassette and CD in the same head unit and I figured this was a natural progression.

Is there such a unit available? And does it feature MDLP (which I have not tried yet but I wouldn't mind playing with).

6. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

paul:

minidisc is on a slow down in the usa. i've seen several cd/md units with mdlp from pioneer and kenwood but these were all european and japanese models. the last cd/md unit i remember for a us car was the jvc kd-mx3000 (which i own) but it was released in 97 or 98 so it's not mdlp compatible. i'm crossing my fingers for a cd/md with mdlp us model but i'm not holding my breath. if mdlp isn't a big deal...then check out the jvc kd-mx3000. you can find them on ebay occasionally for about $300-$400. they are single din too if that's an issue.

kevin t

7. Paul D Young

Paul D Young Second Unit

Thanks for the response Kevin. If you find a new MDLP compatible CD/MD unit before I do, please add to this thread in the future as will I.

Thanks in advance,

Paul

8. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Check out this link. Don't know if the Panasonic CD/MD unit in question is available in North America though.