What's new

Car MD? (1 Viewer)

Jeff

Supporting Actor
Can anyone tell me which of the following Sony MD car decks is the best? I know the 680 does MDLP, but I don't need that feature.

Do they pretty much perform the same, sound wise?

MDX-CA680X

MDX-C7900

MDX-C6500X

Thanks!

Jeff

Kris McLaughlin

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff,

I have had the MDX-C7900 for over 3 years now, it is a great unit. I am no audiophile, but it sounds good to me and is really convenient paired with my CDX-727 ten-disc CD changer.

Cheers,

Kevin P

Screenwriter
I've had a MDX-C5970 (an older version of the 7900) for a couple years, and it's worked great for me. The sound quality is fine, though I can't really tell since I haven't replaced my factory speakers yet. I have it paired with a CDX-737 10 disc trunk-mounted CD changer.

If you want the best sound quality, especially with aftermarket speakers, you'll want to add an external amp.

KJP

Paul D Young

Second Unit
I want a car minidisc player with Minidisc and CD in a single head unit. I've seen Cassette and CD in the same head unit and I figured this was a natural progression.

Is there such a unit available? And does it feature MDLP (which I have not tried yet but I wouldn't mind playing with).

Kevin T

Screenwriter
paul:

minidisc is on a slow down in the usa. i've seen several cd/md units with mdlp from pioneer and kenwood but these were all european and japanese models. the last cd/md unit i remember for a us car was the jvc kd-mx3000 (which i own) but it was released in 97 or 98 so it's not mdlp compatible. i'm crossing my fingers for a cd/md with mdlp us model but i'm not holding my breath. if mdlp isn't a big deal...then check out the jvc kd-mx3000. you can find them on ebay occasionally for about $300-$400. they are single din too if that's an issue.

kevin t

Paul D Young

Second Unit
Thanks for the response Kevin. If you find a new MDLP compatible CD/MD unit before I do, please add to this thread in the future as will I.

Thanks in advance,

Paul

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Check out this link. Don't know if the Panasonic CD/MD unit in question is available in North America though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brted