car leather interior repair - recommendations?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Ted Lee, May 10, 2004.

1. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

hi all -

there has been a slowly developing crack on my drivers seat that has been hanging tough...but it finally bit the dust and ripped.

it is now about 2" long by 1/4" wide.

have any of you folks used (with any degree of success) some sort of leather repair kit?

chances are i may just cover the seats, but i want to seal this tear before it gets any larger. but i may leave the seat uncovered ... so if i can make it look nice that's just a bonus!

thx!

ted

2. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Ted,

I don't know about any of the products advertised in the infomercials on tv.

I work for a car dealership service department and we sometimes encounter ripped leather seats on trade-ins. We have an outside outfit come in and fix them, and they do a very nice job. It's not a franchise, so I can't make a specific recommendation. You might try going to your dealer's service department and asking them who their used car department uses in your area to perform such repairs.

The repair usually leaves the affected area feeling a bit stiff to the touch, but appearance wise the repairs are virtually undetectable.

3. Kevin G.

Kevin G. Second Unit

I also work at a dealership and we use an upholstery guy that can order oem fabric or leather. He can go to the nearest seam and make it near imperceptable.
    But, we also operate in a rural area, so the prices aren't quite what they would be in a large city.
    Anothe factor to consider is the ammount of wear that the repair is going to take. (I mean it wore out once right?)

4. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

thx guys.

steve, too bad i don't own a toyota ... i'd just send it to you! [​IMG]

the car is a 94 accord, so i can't complain too much i guess. i think i'll check with the dealership to see what they would charge to make a repair.

i'll probably cruise over to my nearest autozone as well ... even though that's a scary thought.