1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

car insurance gimmicks

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Julia, Oct 11, 2006.

1. Julia

Julia Stunt Coordinator

What’s your favorite car insurance gimmick? The talking gecko? The gruff cowboy? What makes you feel the most automotive safety?

I like the new one from Mercury (www.mercurytheory.com). If you haven’t seen it they are making the claim that the owners of Mercury are from Mercury and they’ve got all the corroborative evidence including a 10X magnification of burnt toast (check out the slides) that proves everything. Makes me chuckle.

2. Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood Producer

My favorite one is "claim denied".

3. Julia

Julia Stunt Coordinator

No, that's a horrible gimmick! Evil! Did that happen to you?

I like the Geico ads with the cavemen, but I think my favorite is the Mercury one where the "UFO expert" is convinced that he's found evidence in the backwoods of some hick state, and he meets said hick and the guy shows him the "alien" and the ufo expert is like "That's an armadillo".

4. Carl Miller

Carl Miller Screenwriter

I like the print ad that shows a flattened gecko underneath a set of tire tracks on the road....Captions vary, but the last one I saw was "enough with the gecko already. We give you the lowest rate, and no talking lizards".

It's not as effective as the gecko, because I have no idea which company runs this ad, but I still like it.

5. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

I think this is an older commercial (I think it was for All State) and basically they were boasting about their 24 hour call center. I liked it because one of the lines was like "Who are you going to call at 2am..." basically putting it out there that accidents don't always happen during "Bankers Hours".

That's my biggest gripe with businesses like insurance companies and banks, etc. - They're all closed when I'm available to do business with them (i.e. when I'm not at work), so I think that's why the above as rang a note with me.

6. Julia

Julia Stunt Coordinator

Ha, I think I've seen that on TV too. I don't know who it is either, but it's funny. Oh by the way the commercial I posted above is on the site I posted in the initial post (that's why I try to always include a link to whatever I'm talking about), once the site is loaded you click on the TV in the upper right corner (it says "video evidence"). They have all the commercials from that series on there, my fave is the 4th one "Captured". Cute gimmick.

7. mylan

mylan Screenwriter

Tha ad that shows a car swerving to miss a squirrel and then the two squirrels high fiving each other as the car crashes.